Track End Rods on ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Davemcg
My Cars:

Track End Rods on ZX

Post by Davemcg »

My ZX failed it's MOT as the track rod ends had too much play, does anyone have any advice on repairing this fault?
Is it a big job or can it be fixed fairly easily and inexpensively?
Hopefully someone may know.
Thanks
David
David
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Hi Dave,
Dead easy to do provided you do not encounter the problem I have mentioned recently (almost 99% likely you will not). I belive the ball joint costs IRO £8 at GSF.
All you need to do is jack up the car, remove the relevant wheel. You will need to ensure you know exactly how may threads are exposed as the ball joint leaves the track rod. You can then ensure you replace the new one with the same amount showing (so as to keep tracking correct). Once you know this you can losen the lock nut. You will need a spanner to hold the tie rod still (flats about halfway along for this) plus another to losen the nut. It is a normal right hand thread. When lose, you can start to remove the lock nut on the top of the ball joint. You may find the nut gets stiff and everything turns but usually I find if you clean the threads, oil them and turn it slowly this does not happen. If it does you will need to apply pressure under the ball joint, I have used a jack before. Finally you need to remove the ball joint and if you do not have a special tool, a sharp knock downwards with a good hammer usually does the trick. You may want to leave the nut on just the top thread for extra surface. Refit is simply the reverse.
Good luck
Dave
Davemcg
My Cars:

Post by Davemcg »

Cheers Dave,
Doesn't sound too difficult so I'll give it a go.
Thanks again
David
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Counting the thread's showing on the ball joint is nowhere near accurate enough, even component's made by the same manufacturer can have differing amounts of thread, the joint you fit may be from a different maker than the one that's on, they will not be identical.
The only sure way to go about it is to chip the scale from the edge of the brake disc to give a clear datum point, then measure from this point to the face of the locknut on the trackrod before it's disturbed, be sure to measure the minimum distance and have the steering locked so there can be no error's.
Dave
Something I forgot to mention, so just to clarify, because the joint is worn it will have play in it, force the trackrod end away from the ball to centre it in it's socket, then take the measurement.
Get the tracking checked as a precaution as Dave1 say's.
Edited by - Dave Burns on 04 Jul 2002 19:30:39
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Hi Dave,
I appreciate my method will not nec be spot on. I personally had all four wheels aligned at ATS by laser. My method is just to get the car going in the general direction but as it happens it was spot on when I last did it.
Dave1