ZX Dashboard

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

B_Draper
My Cars:

ZX Dashboard

Post by B_Draper »

I've decided it's time to replace all the blown bulbs in the dashboard of my 94 ZX TD. Does anyone know of a resonable quick simple to replace said bulbs instead following the Haynes manual which advise to remove the entire dashboard as far as I can remember!!
If someone has done this, could they post a brief step-by-step of what to do.
While I'm on the subject of dashboards, my speed vibrates badley between 0-50mph variating between 20mph at any one time. What do you reckon need to be changed? The sensor or the cable?
If it is the sensor, where is it located and does it need to be calibrated once installed?
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions
Ben
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

The instrument bulbs aren't too difficult to get to. The cluster comes forward towards the steering wheel. You do need to unclip the speedo cable, which is fiddly.
The real pain though are the heater control bulbs. You'll probably decide not to bother after reading this... Remove all the trim around the gearstick. Remove your stereo. The heater controls are behind the black panel, which can be pulled out forward. There are some screws around the ashtray area, then all that holds it in are some spring clips up by the vents. HOWEVER once you have access you need a special tool to remove the bulbs!! They are recessed and I couldn't get mine out with pliers etc. You'll need to make a tool.
I think Haynes assumes you have hands the size of a 2-year old's and fingernails an inch long when it suggests removing them via the stereo aperture...
Next instalment when I've got around to replacing mine!
Join the Citroen Car Club!
B_Draper
My Cars:

Post by B_Draper »

I've already replaced the heater console bulbs and by following the Hanyes manual (not realising I needed a special tool) I almost destroyed the bulbs holders with my pliers. Eventually I figured out, I could remove the front of the panel with a screwdriver and simply pull and replace the bulbs out by hand!
The only real pain about this, is the amount of plastic you have to remove to get the bulbs!
Ta for the advice
Ben