Sunroof

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

D.Slatford
My Cars:

Sunroof

Post by D.Slatford »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the sunroof of the xantia supposed to both tilt up and slide *all* the way back? I've not paid much attention to mine but it apparantly tilts, but doesn't slide back. It goes down slightly, tries to slide back by millimeters then jams up. I can't see much of the mechanism either, does anyone know what might be causing this, or more to the point how I can solve it?
--
dan
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Hi Dan,
I had a similar problem with a BX sunroof. The problem turned out to be rust inside the cable guides. I did not use the "slide" facility much myself. Perhaps if I had it would not have jammed. I am not sure how the Xantia roof works but would guess it is similar. The cables on the BX run from the front outwards and back. If you can remove the glass you may be able to remove the screws that hold the track cover in place and check for rust or one may have broken. I now reguarly spray with WD40. Also there are little pads on the BX that sometime get dislodged and can jam things up. Replacing the cables may not be easy. I did this on the BX but it involves removing the headling. Hope this is some help.
Dave.
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

Well, in typical tradition of asking a question and then figuring it out for myself, it's fixed.
The problem was on one side, the bit of metal that acts as a spring for the thing that pops up at the front to deflect wind is supposed to be rivited onto the frame, but both rivets had sheared off so this thing was jamming up one of the rails from the inside. All I could do after freeing it up manually was find a short, fat hefty self-tapping screw and bung that in, hopefully it shouldn't ever shift now. Bit of grease and a polish and the thing works like a charm. Although I do note that unlike some other cars it really isn't nice to drive along with the roof fully open (unless I open the rear windows too) unless I want my eardrums pounded out by air pulsating into the car. That wind shield doesn't really do a stunning job.
--
dan