Revs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smurfen
My Cars:

Revs

Post by smurfen »

Hi.
Got an annoying problem, my BX 16V -90 won't rev more than 6000rpm.
I've changed the HT leads the, rotor and the distributor with no luck at all.
I can also see some oil leaking into the ditributor cap from the axle that the rotor sits on, can this effect the ignition so that the car can't rev more than 6000rpm???
The revving problem is even worse when I try to accelerate fast from say 0-60 then the car will only rev to about 5500rpm.
I've heard some stories about oil in the distributor cap that kept the revs low because oildeposits on the edge of the rotor and contact point on the distributor cap.
Is there any truth in that?
Please help me with this very annoying problem.
Cheers
Daniel
//Daniel
jloner2
My Cars:

Post by jloner2 »

ahem, ahem, i think you are doing well getting a 11 year old bx up to 5500rpm. it is not a new car you know. ytou will only kill it by this. it is like a 70 year old guy trying to do the 100 meters in 10 seconds. 5500 sounds good to me....
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Hi Daniel,
A 16V that didn't get much over 6,000 RPM wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. The oil you speak of may be part of the problem, if it is it's one I've never struck. Shouldn't be all that big a job to clean & find out. WD40 would dissolve the oil, just be sure to wipe out with a clean lint free cloth or tissue after.
Other thoughts are; when did you last have your injectors cleaned? Maybe a can of Redex may be worth the investment to see if that improves things, also if your car is a Mark 2 with Catalytic converter, there is a chance the cat could be on the way out.
Hope this is some help.
Alan S
smurfen
My Cars:

Post by smurfen »

Hi Alan.
Well I changed the cat last year because I blew the other one out the exhaust :)
The injectors are usually cleaned every 10000km, I use STP Injection Cleaner to do that.
The oil is a part of the problem, I've gotten this verified by a race mechanic.
To solve the problem I have to be able dislodge the old oil seal and the put a new one in place, do you have any idea how to get the old seal loose?
When I clean the cap and rotor it doesn't take a long time until it's back to the previous state, and another thing the oil that enters cap erodes the rotor and the lead edges in the distributor cap....
Cheers
//Daniel
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

To solve the problem I have to be able dislodge the old oil seal and the put a new one in place, do you have any idea how to get the old seal loose?
When I clean the cap and rotor it doesn't take a long time until it's back to the previous state, and another thing the oil that enters cap erodes the rotor and the lead edges in the distributor cap....
Cheers
//Daniel
[/quote]
Daniel,
Fortunately, I have never had to change the seal you are speaking of, but the basic principle of seals always seems to be that they rarely ever are fitted from the front. This I would imagine would be the case here. The question is what do you have to take out to get to it. I have never had my distributor out, so I am not aware as to how it is connected to the camshaft. Another point to also consider is that for a seal to be pushing that amount of oil out continuously, the bush it is sealing against may have some wear as the pressure of oil in that location I would expect to be fairly minimal. Two other points; How does it go after you clean up & remove the oil in the distributor? Also, have you checked that the fuel filter is not partially blocked thereby starving the motor at high revs or under load?
Are you a member of the BX 16V mailing list? If not it may pay to join or alternatively if you don't want to get that much unvolved, I could ask the list on your behalf. Let me know if you would like me to do this.
To join up contact
bx16vclub-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Alan S
Edited by - alans on 03 Apr 2001 02:10:57