Xantia front strut leakage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

IanR
My Cars:

Xantia front strut leakage

Post by IanR »

RH front strut of Xantia (96, 1.8 Petrol) sometimes leaks LHM from underneath the plastic gaiter. Doesn't seem to be the return hose, in fact the source is higher-up on the strut.
Doesn't happen on every journey, but when it does, it's a fair quantity of fluid, enough to make a small pool on the road.
The problem is intermittent, and seems to depend on the ride height setting. (Which BTW is too high in the standard position, this is something I need to look at as well, and might possibly be related)
Is it likely that the strut's top-seal is faulty, if so can it be replaced, or do I need a whole new strut (which is costly) -or could it be a problem related to the height-adjustment error, perhaps excess pressure causing the fluid to escape?
-Any ideas?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Interesting one.
I'd be inclined to check the RH metal suspension pipe to the strut ( Cit ref 5270EC) as these are a common failure point in this area and may be the cause of the leak.
If this is not the case, and you are sure that the LHM is actually leaking from under the strut gaiter, I would imagine that a replacement strut may be in order.
I can't see that the incorrect height at the front relates to your problem, check and reset the height anyway and ensure that the height correct is not leaking, also the pipes to it are not leaking or damaged.
Any one else got an ideas? Dave? Alan?
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
Edited by - Jon on 13 Jun 2002 17:25:30
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Ian, I would tend to agree with your suggestion of a faulty top seal, I have yet to delve into this area, in fact I hope I never have to.
Don't know what the sealing method is, more than likely rubber o'ring's, I can't see any mention of top seal's either in Haynes or on the BX diy page.
Anyone know what they consist of.
Failing that go to your main dealer and have a gander at their fiche.(0r do Andyspares have a microfiche? Jon)
There are complete strut rebuild kit's for the BX, I would assume also for the Xantia, nothing listed in the online shop :o(
Dave
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Take a look at the pic on:
http://citroeny.cz/servis/xmser/predni_vzpery.gif
Admittedly it's from an XM, but I think you'll find the Xantia has the same construction - sealed I'm afraid!
//NiSk
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

Actually, the problem does seem to relate to excessive ride height - it hasn't happened recently, only when the car was driven with the front way too high.
HST, I really need to look at the front corrector as it's still sticking badly. When you operate the lever it goes from bottomed to max, and it's hard to get it to settle anywhere in-between.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Those drawing's appear to show o'ring type seal's either side of the oil port, they should be a replaceable item I would have thought.
A slim chance I know but is the nut on top of the strut tight.
There should be no leak's to the outside anywhere in the hydraulic system, regardless of height setting so something is worn or loose.
Dave
Edited by - Dave Burns on 14 Jun 2002 19:15:01
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
A slim chance I know but is the nut on top of the strut tight.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Had the gaiter off today, and found that the top of the cylinder around the piston seems relatively dry, whereas the cylinder sides and gaiter inside surface are oily. This suggests it's coming from the head unit.
The top nut was, I estimate, at about 10lb/ft. The book quotes 48 lb/ft. We'll see - it looks hopeful that might be all it was. If not, I think I'll see about getting new o-rings. Checked the other one while I was at it, and that was under-tightened too, though not as loose as this one.
Fixed the sticking corrector while I was at it. Gave it a coat of silicone oil - no reason to assume this might do any harm, is there? I figured it should repel water better than LHM or engine oil.