106 Failing To Start After CutOut

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brickmaker

106 Failing To Start After CutOut

Post by brickmaker »

Hello To All (new member)

106 TU3 1360 (identical in Haynes p1A.5)
Previous problem history: none perfect runner

Driven through a puddle (same place repeatedly for years without incident)
Made it through,revs kept high, 600-700 yards later engine cutout. No bangs or stuttering,simply nothing but ignition light.
Failed to restart at all. Popular recovery service liberally sprayed dampstart but failed to fire.(informed that a spark was present but didn't see it myself)

Low on assistants,resources and miles from a garage!
Air filter was dry,fuses checked. Believe fuel relay primes ok (based on sound)on ignition but nothing fires. Sounds like starter is turning, very occasionally a very brief backfire/pop occurs but only after being left for a long time (overnight)

Tried to be as precise as possible to avoid waffle! So would anyone have any ideas where I should be looking please? I am thinking fuel, also wonder if the alternator had failed would that stop hv being generated to fire?
Have tools and willing but lack knowledge, so any appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ed
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi Ed and welcome

firstly i would check and clean/dry out all plug conectors for the ignition circuite, also if it has a distributor cap remove it from the distributor clean and dry it inside and out,

just do one thing at a time,

do not remove all the spark plug leads together, just take one of at a time clean and re/fit and so on till you have done all four and the king lead (coil lead ) , as these have got to be in the right order if you wont to try to get the car the burst into life,

DO NOT TEST FOR A SPARK BY PULLING A LEAD OF AT ONE END A CREATING A SPARK GAP, AS DOING THIS CAN KILL THE ELECTRONIC IGNITION MODULE,

if all this fails you might have hooverd some water up the air intake and hydauliced the engine and caused the cam belt to slip,

were abouts are you

regards malcolm