xantia 1.9td notchy gear change after clutch replaced

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia 1.9td 1999

Post by xantia 1.9td 1999 »

citrojim wrote:Both oil and clutch adjustment are critical for good changes.

As Dnsey says, it is more than likely the garage has used the wrong oil and these 'boxes are fussy. Only 75W/80 oil should be used and on no account EP90 which a lot of garages like to chuck in :evil: It makes the gearchange stiff in summer and impossible in winter. In extreme cases, it can also cause damage.

75W/80 is not always easy to get hold of. Not all factors stock it. One very good one is Comma 75W/80 and it states clearly on the bottle it is for "Certain Peugeot and Citroen gearboxes"

Do check the clutch adjustment as Anders say as shortly after a clutch change, some bedding-in takes place and readjustment is needed.

HI JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE GARAGE USED 75/90 CARIUDE OIL, WOULD THIS MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. THANKS
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantia 1.9td 1999 wrote: HI JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE GARAGE USED 75/90 CARIUDE OIL, WOULD THIS MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. THANKS
It well could. I'd say anything with an upper rating on 90 was too thick. The pukka 75W/80 is very thin, more like engine oil than a traditional gearbox oil so if his 75W/90 is a bit gloopy and thick like syrup then you have your problem.

the last 75W/90 I saw had the consistency of warm Gloden Syrup and would have been much too thick.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia 1.9td 1999

citrojim wrote:
xantia 1.9td 1999 wrote: HI JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE GARAGE USED 75/90 CARIUDE OIL, WOULD THIS MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. THANKS
It well could. I'd say anything with an upper rating on 90 was too thick. The pukka 75W/80 is very thin, more like engine oil than a traditional gearbox oil so if his 75W/90 is a bit gloopy and thick like syrup then you have your problem.

the last 75W/90 I saw had the consistency of warm Gloden Syrup and would have been much too thick.
Sounds quality what you have posted, also i have read something else on the internet suggesting the same i.e. 75/80 is the daddy. What has blown me away is that i phoned a dealer to get a price for the oil, does £8 per litre for Total BV 75/80 sound right?, whilst i was doing this i decided to get some advice about 75/90 and guess what, the chap said it should not make much of a difference!!! :( !!. Again im keeping my fingers crossed that he's wrong, i will get it changed maybe Wednesday and keep you posted. Very much appreciate all posts :lol:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

GSF do the oil at considerably less than your local dealer (www.gsfcarparts.com). The big trouble with the Total oil is that it comes in a bottle without a flexi spout, so you need to acquire one of these to get it in the car - I've got a Halfords bottle that is ideal for the job :lol:
Richard W
killie77
My Cars:

Post by killie77 »

Hi
Thanks for the Info on the Clutch
Will replace the Clutch when I have the Funds. I'll have to live with the Pedal as it is at the moment..
Thanks again
Ian.H
Xsara 1.9TD X 88000 Miles
xantia 1.9td 1999

xantia 1.9td 1999 wrote:
citrojim wrote:

Any ideas as to why it changes happily into 3rd / 4th and 5th. Also yesterday it was hot, i drove home and the gearchage was almost as good as before i had the clutch replaced. Will be doing the oil change tomorrow with Total BV 75/80. Also any ideas how many litres i will need as the dealers only sell these in 1 litre bottles. GFS dont stock 75/80 oil no more, well the 1 i phoned doesnt. [/quote]
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantia 1.9td 1999 wrote: Also any ideas how many litres i will need as the dealers only sell these in 1 litre bottles.
The gearbox capacity is 1.7L. Top up through the fill/level plug on the tin end of the gearbox. It is the 19mm stud and can't be missed as it is the only one on the end of the gearbox. Stick the flexi spout in and fill until oil just dribbles out. Take care to ensure it is the oil at level that is dripping out and not from the bottle spout. It helps to stick the flexi spout in as far as it will go.

The drain plug is on the bottom of the diff housing and has a 21mm hex head and a square in the middle. If you jack up to get sufficient height to drain, please ensure you have the car very firmly supported on axle stands. You should NEVER rely on a jack when doing jobs like this on a hydraulic Citroen. They can collapse suddenly and the result if you are underneath is not good. Take care!

The fact that the gearchange is much better when it's really hot does confirm the oil is the culprit.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia 1.9td 1999

citrojim wrote:
xantia 1.9td 1999 wrote: Also any ideas how many litres i will need as the dealers only sell these in 1 litre bottles.

The fact that the gearchange is much better when it's really hot does confirm the oil is the culprit.

Excellent. I will let you know the outcome. Anyway just to keep the banter afloat, iv had the car afew months and i am well impressed. It actually came unexpected. My brother in law was selling his BMW and the chap who was interested decided to offer the xantia as a PX, hence it was passed to me. The xantia was acquired from his grandfather, who had it since newish. You should see the service papers, honestly i cant believe that he paid 46 pounds to have 3 bulbs replaced from a Cit dealer.

I have previously owned three 306's TD's, i sold the recent one i had after acquiring the xantia as it was powered by the lucas pump. No good for biodeisel!!!. i have also got a 306 HDI which the wife drives, not bad but i prefer the xantia, cant beat the ride, comfort etc.

I have just purchased a Haynes Manual. happy days ahead
xantia 1.9td 1999

EXCELLENT! TOTAL BV 75/80 GEARBOX OIL HAS SORTED MY PROBLEM OUT. DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO SAYS 75/90 IS FINE IN YOUR GEARBOX.

All the shops and a dealer machanic told me that 75/90 would not make too much of a difference!! what lies.

Thanks chaps, excellent advice.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Great that it's fixed!

The mechaninc could just be ignorant really, he may not have been lying? let's hope he has learned something, I certainly have...
46 pounds to have 3 bulbs replaced from a Cit dealer.
A girl I work with took her renault clio for one of it's standard dealer services/MOT last week.. this is a full renault history car, with about 130K on the clock, one paranoid owner etc.

£800 ....

discs
pads
service
mot
light / indicator stalk ! - £120
washer jet pump - £100 + !
air filter inlet pipe
wheel bearing

car is worth about 700, over 10 years old, and you can buy a newer better spec SVO burning Xantia for less than the service :O ..

SHe payed full price for car, and £ thousands to keep the history all nice and neat .... each to their own :twisted: John
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Been severely ripped of there.
The guy I use would certainly not have carged any more that £400 for that.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

main dealers Steve.... :D

OE parts... £90 per hour..

I tried to ween her off them but soon gave up :)

Would never consider it :) just glad that I can fix my own.. for now...