Xantia TD Lack of power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gavin1

Xantia TD Lack of power

Post by Gavin1 »

My Xantia TD (M reg, 150K) has a lack of power above 3200 rpm, the torque is as expected and it pulls well between 2100 and 3100 but then rapidly dies of above this rpm. As a result the car is flat out at 85 - 90 mph on the motorway. I have changedthe fuel filter and am sure the engine is not being fuel starved, I have fitted a boost guage and the boost is fine at about 0.8 bar. The car has a Bosch injection pump. Now I'm a bit stuck really the only thing I can think of is the fuel / boost sensor is not working properly?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Check for air leaks in the rubber hose that leads from the metal pipe on the bulkhead to the fuel filter. You may as well replace it and all the other crummy rubber fuel hoses Citroën supplied with the car; if they havn't started causing trouble yet, they soon will!
A cheap fix that usually solves a lot of strange problems.
//NiSk
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Air filter and trunking would be the obvious...
Or maybe head gasket trouble; is your cooling system being pressurised more than normal? That was the first sign of head trouble on my old TD.
Simon Canfer
Join the Citroen Car Club!
Grant Withington
My Cars:

Post by Grant Withington »

I had a simular problem with my 1996 1.9 TD. Check the return and flow plastic air pipes from the turbo to the intercooler, after a recent cam belt change one of the jubilee clip connections behind the cyliner head had come loose, allowing the pipe to dislodge, I lost all turbo boost. The lack of power was compensated for by the superb noise it made as the turbo came on boost! It took 5 minutes to find the loose hose, and connect back up.
mikeread
My Cars:

Post by mikeread »

I had the same on my 94 1.9TD. This was a couple of weeks after changing the accelerator cable. I don't know if the inner had stretched or I hadn't quite fitted it straight, but the there was too much free play. Trimmed the cable and reset the free play, and the power was bacK.