What makes a model popular?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

What makes a model popular?

Post by JohnD »

I've just returned from a six week stay in Southern Spain, and I couldn't help but notice the very few Xantias on the roads, and most of those were taxis. On the other hand, there were Xsaras and Saxos in huge numbers. I couldn't help but wonder what makes a car popular in one country but a no-no elsewhere.
Steep1
My Cars:

Post by Steep1 »

Price?
mazidee
My Cars:

Post by mazidee »

Price and re-sale value. In my county Malaysia where Honda, Toyota, Nissan are popular choice simply because of good re-sale value. Local car Proton has price advantage with 60% market share. BMW, Merc is for prestige (although is Europe use as taxi). Other continental car like Citroen, Peugeot, Renault suffer a poor re-sale value due to perception that parts are expensive, not design for local climate and good mechanic for this type of car not widely available. Generally people admitt that continetal car has a better handling and tougher. Second hand car dealer play a major part of determine a popularity of the car.
Malaysian government impose high import tax making import car very expensive to own. With AFTA coming 2005 where car assembled with more than 40% content is ASEAN region has a limit of up to 20% tax, price of car will drop drastically but I believe our government will impose another form of levy like Singapore did with COE (Certificate Of Entitlement) to protect local car.
Mazidee (who love to spend time at workshop)
Malaysia
eddiebarge
My Cars:

Post by eddiebarge »

I think parts prices and availability are important in a car's popularity. Most small garages carry Ford or Vauxhall/GM spares, and the breakdown service vans also, and replacement items such as exhausts and alternators etc are readily available off the shelf just about anywhere.
I used to have a Mitsubishi and a new exhaust was three times as much as a Ford Sierra, and I usually had difficulty finding someone to supply one.
Ease of maintenance too is a factor, and the more basic a car the easier they are to keep on the road yourself. That's why a nice looking XM petrol model sells at auction for £75 and a similar age Vauxhall Senator or Ford Granada will command a much higher price.
The Citroen XM/Xantia/BX suspension also puts buyers off and from experience I know how expensive it can be to rectify, compared with conventional suspension. When it's perfect it's fantastic, but it's a risk that many people don't want to take.
Resale is another important consideration. Have you ever tried to sell a second-hand XM, BX or Xantia? Even with a full service history and at a bargain price it takes forever, and usually purchased by someone who knows the model intimately!
Ed
mazidee
My Cars:

Post by mazidee »

No kidding biggie XM is selling at 75 pound ! I though in Europe especially you don't have much problem with this type of car. To get the buyer confident, In Malaysia C5 buyer will get 5 years warranty on suspension and 3 years free maintenance of parts and labour with limited milage. Even that is selling at about 30,000 pound. We envy European, US, Aussie can buy car cheap. Most of us can only afford less than 2 liter car.
Mazidee
Malaysia