DIY repairs possible?

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

DIY repairs possible?

Post by MikeT »

I have a seized compressor (believed to have last been used in 2002) and who knows what other faults in the A/C system that I would like to repair, if possible.

Considering it contains a pressurised refrigerent that people tell me is illegal to dump to atmosphere, are there any DIY options?

Is it possible to repair without having to evacuate the gas first?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Depends on what is seized and what type it is.

Whatever, don't just let the gas out. It's rather risky to do on account of how cold everyting becomes whilst the gas is leaking away. The cold is the risk as it can burn and cause frostbite. It really does get incredibly cold. Despite the R-134a gas being ozone safe and non-toxic it's still considered to be rather naughty to release it into the atmosphere.

If the compressor is a Harrison/Delphi and it's the clutch that is seized, you must use the special tool to extract the pulley and clutch. I've tried and there is no other way. They're not easy to fabricate either.

I believe the clutch on the other variety (name escapes me at the moment) is a tad easier to remove and a suitable puller is a lot easier to fabricate than it is for the Delphi machine.

If the compressor has not run since 2002 it is likely to be pretty much a write-off. I reckon you're still best off to obtain a compressor from a recently scrapped car that has been very recently depollouted (i.e. the R-134a has been evacuated)

Hve yours professionally evacuated before changing the compressor. I dod a DIY evacuation once. Something I shall not be doing again, I can tell you!

EDIT: Yes, if you are just replacing a clutch/pulley, no need to evacuate!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Cheers Jim, I'll have to wait until the car is mobile again before I can get it evacuated. I don't know how to test the clutch for seizure and even if I did repair it I don't know if the rest of the compressor is any good or how to test that either so will probably go for a used working one and just replace it. That itself may be a gamble as there's more to an A/C system than just the compressor, as you know. At least I've got time to think about it. :wink:
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi Mike,

You pump will be a delphi/harrison compressor like mine and to remove the clutch requires a special tool which can be purchase if you so wish!!!!!

Kenny W

p.s. Part no 1135290 try this company for air con stuff Autokool

They are on the web.
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.