XM Heater Matrix Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LHM

XM Heater Matrix Replacement

Post by LHM »

Hi Everyone,
After 170,000 miles, mine's finally given up the ghost :-) I've by-passed the heater hoses to stop the interior foot spa, but the summer can't be relyed on to provide much warmth.
Are there any "gotcha's" to beware of, any short cuts, or is it just a case of following the Haynes manual.
Or just buy a fur coat?
David
RASCAM
My Cars:

Post by RASCAM »

Hello There,
I just followed the Haynes manual and found it really straight forward. I didn't completely remove to steering, just disconnected and supported it on the floor, then cut the corner from the old matrix as it came out so it would clear the steering mounting bracket. I then cut the housing as discribed with an electric jigsaw and the new one slid in easy. I have heard since that you can bend this braket out of the way to save cutting the housing but either way it's easy. They really messed up there. I reckon that designer forgot where he was working.
Regards Rascam
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Before starting to rip into the heater matrix with a jigsaw, make sure that it really is the matrix itself that is leaking, XM's are renown for leaking from the two connecting joints into the engine room. If this is the case in your car, you only need to replace the rubber O-rings (a LOT cheaper than a heater matirx), as said, a very common problem with all XM's.
//NiSk
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

I had trouble with my XM where I had a swamp under the drivers side carpet, on this occasion Radweld took care of it. I'm not recommending it unreservedly but in my case it did avoid a complex repair and I had no more trouble for the remaining 2 years of ownership. Might be worth a try!
I warmed up the system as per the instructions, and then disconnected one of the heater pipes under the bonnet, pouring the radweld straight into the heater. Then reconnected and ran the engine for 10 mins.
Mark