xantia brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kirbson
My Cars:

xantia brakes

Post by kirbson »

WE HAVE HAD OUR XANTIA A COUPLE OF MONTHS IT IS A 93 1.9 TD VSX ,IT HAS BEEN FINE UNTIL RECENTLY ,WHEN YOU BRAKE TO SLOW DOWN IE GOING ROUND A CORNER AND YOU THEN TAKE YOUR FOOT BACK OFF THE BRAKE PEDAL THE CAR STILL SEEMS TO BE SLOWING DOWN ,IT FEELS AS THOUGH THE BRAKES ARE NOT COMING OFFF PROPERLY,
WHEN ON THE JACKS THE BRAKES APPEAR TO BE WORKING OK THE ONLY THING I HAVE NOTICED IS THE BRAKE PEDAL IS A LOT LOWER THAN THE CLUTH PEDAL ,BUT THIS WAS LIKE THAT WHEN WE BOUGHT THE CAR ,YOU CAN LIFT THE BRAKE PEDAL UP BY HAND SO IT IS INLINE WITH THE CLUTCH PEDAL BUT IT JUST DROPS BACK TO IT ORIGINAL POSITION WHEN YOU LET GO
THIS MIGHT BE QUITE NORMAL BUT IAM NOT SURE SO I WOULD PLEASED IF ANYBODY HAS ANY INFO THANKS
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

If you've recently got the car, I'd question whether the previous owner had been servicing the brakes. The simplest and most likely cause of this delayed-release is that the pads have become stuck or rusted-up in the calipers, so that they cannot retract away from the disc when the pressure is released. If it's got like this, it shows that the brakes have probably been neglected by the previous owner, so in that case best to have them checked over.
On most Citroens the brake pedal is just a valve that allows fluid from a pump into the braking system. Hence it has only a small travel, and the amount of travel won't change, even if the brakes are heavily worn.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Most clutch pedals are a bit higher than the brake pedal. Don't worry about that!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Could be air in the brake pipes, can go undetected for ages in these brakes, normal master cylinder type brakes will quickly reveal this condition, the power braking system on hydropnumatic Cit's wont.
The high pressure on tap rapidly compresses any trapped air plus the feeling from the pedal is merkedly different, thus the driver may not be aware of it.
If there is a volume of air expanding in the pipe's or caliper as the pedal is released it is not inconcievable that it could prevent the caliper instantly releasing the disc.
I would have it on a rolling road which will give away the offending brake(s).
Dave