Xantia Activa suspension noises.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mikonood
My Cars:

Xantia Activa suspension noises.

Post by Mikonood »

I have a 1996 Activa Turbo which has recently had the OSF drag link? replaced as it was 'tapping' at low speeds. Since replaced there is an odd creak when applying and releasing brakes from the same OSF side of car. Any suggestions?
I have also recently replaced the brake discs and pads on front and noticed the hydraulic anti roll bar damper (NSF on Activa only?) is leaking. This probably accounts for the constant rise and fall on the NSF of the car and any suggestions on how to cure this would be welcome. I suspect a replacement damper is the only solution but this seems to be a v. expensive route.
The only other 'problem' with the suspension is the deathly creak which starts about 20 seconds after the car is turned off, is this just old age or something more serious?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Drag link ay, haven't heard that for a long time, you are I take it refering to the track rod end ball joint.
Can't see why replacing one of them would cause any noise or creaking when using brakes.
You say you have replaced disc's and pad's, has this got something to do with it do you think.
Is the damper you are refering to actually one of the roll resisting hydraulic rams, if so these typically are made in such a way as to make servicing impossible, much like power steering ram's, but investigate further before forking out.
Do you see the car sink any as it creak's.
Dave
DPMATTT

Post by DPMATTT »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I have a 1996 Activa Turbo which has recently had the OSF drag link? replaced as it was 'tapping' at low speeds. Since replaced there is an odd creak when applying and releasing brakes from the same OSF side of car. Any suggestions?
I have also recently replaced the brake discs and pads on front and noticed the hydraulic anti roll bar damper (NSF on Activa only?) is leaking. This probably accounts for the constant rise and fall on the NSF of the car and any suggestions on how to cure this would be welcome. I suspect a replacement damper is the only solution but this seems to be a v. expensive route.
The only other 'problem' with the suspension is the deathly creak which starts about 20 seconds after the car is turned off, is this just old age or something more serious?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
DPMATTT

Post by DPMATTT »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
I have a 97 Activa 2.0 Turbo, had a similar creak from nsf on braking - there's a link (1/4" bar) that runs from the lower arm back about 8 inches, then across the car to the lower arm on the other side. On each side it runs through small locating clamps, there is some fore and aft movement through these clamps and this is where the creak eminated from - a dab of grease cured it.