The "Know Your Citroen Engine Thread"

All the sticky threads from the Citroen and Activa forums have been relocated here at least on a temporary basis.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Cpt_Spalding
My Cars:

Post by Cpt_Spalding »

Great idea. No takers though, shame.

Ive just bought one of these & would like to know where the fuel pump is so I can check whether it's a Lucas or Bosch.

:?:
'98 Xantia 1.9TD Tempt 2 Estate.
Had an M reg long ago as co. car & been curious about owning again ever since.
What have I done????
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Welcome to the forum....you are likely to find yourself strangely drawn to this place 8)

The injection pump is in C-E 5/6 on the page overleaf - and that's a Bosch pump. If yours is a Lucas, then it will not have the flying saucer on the top - but most (if not all) Xantia 1.9TDs seem to be Bosch pumped.
Richard W
Cpt_Spalding
My Cars:

Post by Cpt_Spalding »

:o
Thank you. Mine does indeed have the flying saucer thingy on the fuel pump (therefore Bosch). I shall try out a light SVO mix soon.

More questions as I may have bought a pup.

1. There is a small dia. flexy pipe comes out of a cap on grid ref O1 & on the photo disappears under the bend of an air hose. Where does it go (in "flying saucer thingy" terms)? Mine is just flopping about in fresh air.

2. Another small dia. clear/brown pipe begins in grid ref I6 & goes down through the engine comp through I7 & H8. What should this connect to? Again, mine is dangling connected to nothing.

My aircon doesn't work but I notice there is another forum dedicated to this so I'll go there (eventually).
What have I done????
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

The pipe in grid reference O - 1, is for the LHM leak off. its not supposed to be connected to anything

The pipe in grid reference I - 6 , is you fuel drain off pipe for the fuel filter, unless your cleaning your fuel filter, you do not need to drain it.

But again, its just dangles about, so nothing really to worry about.

Your Air con might not be working due to needing to be re-gassed. but I'm sure someone else with the knowledge will be able to help you out more.

Also the Bosch pump is clearly labeled as "Bosch" under neither the throttle cable arm, make sure it says "Bosch" before you add any Veggy, or you might end up in a load of trouble by feeding a Lucas pump.
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
Cpt_Spalding
My Cars:

Post by Cpt_Spalding »

Thank you, TehAgent. That's reassuring on the dangly tubes (ooh-er).

Yes, it says Bosch on the pump & I've already loaded my 1st 6 litres of Tesco SVO. Car now running on a 25% mix SVO/Dino just to further reassure myself before trying a more deep fried mix.

I've bought a Haynes manual for the beast on Ebay, however while I'm waiting for it to get to me in the post, can anyone tell me what the bit in A-10 is?

Cheers
What have I done????
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Cpt_Spalding wrote:Yes, it says Bosch on the pump & I've already loaded my 1st 6 litres of Tesco SVO. Car now running on a 25% mix SVO/Dino just to further reassure myself before trying a more deep fried mix.

I've bought a Haynes manual for the beast on Ebay, however while I'm waiting for it to get to me in the post, can anyone tell me what the bit in A-10 is?

Cheers
A Bosch pump is safe on SVO. I've stripped one recently because it had a massive leak from the head/body joint (TehAgent's in fact) and no harm whatsoever had been occasioned from running on SVO. I did wonder if the joint ring had been attacked by SVO causing the leak but I found no evidence. Just sheer old age.

A10 is your Aircon receiver/drier and hi/lo pressure sensor switch. This switch watches pressure in the aircon citruit and inhibits the compressor from ruunning if the pressure is either too high or too low, usually too low because the refridgerant has leaked away.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
coopertron

Post by coopertron »

Would this thread not make a good sticky?

I had a look in the Problems and Fixes archive, and the Handy Hints and tips but didn't see it....

The diagram at the beginning could be handy.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

As a newbie this is the first time I have seen this thread and its a great idea for a mechaphobe like myself!

Whilst I'm here.....where would I find the turbo located? Or can't it be seen? Slightly OT, but how would I know whether the turbo was working or not?

Cheers

Penguin
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I've just noticed the price of diesel on the garage sign behind Homer's BX, 43.4p per litre ! That would make the pic early 90's then, about 1992 or 93 perhaps?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That's a picture from the future - next year - when diesel will be £43.4 per Litre :twisted:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This thread has now been made "sticky" as requested.

Penguin, the turbo is out of sight in the picture but if you look directly down in the region of E1 you'll find it.

The turbo will be working fine if the engine feels normally lively. You'll feel a distinct kick at around 2700 rpm as it comes up to peak torque.

A duff turbo will make the engine feel really gutless. Rarely is the turbo the guilty party but either leaks on the turbo hoses or the small boost sense pipe going to the injection pump, shown on the edges of squares E2, E3 and E4.

Coopertron: the pump Emergency Stop lever is at E5.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks Jim
wonderd

//

Post by wonderd »

Hello people,
first of all - wonderful idea, especially because i have almost the same engine. (mine is 1999).

Second, what is the name of the part on the pump in D5? is there anyone here that can help me buy it and ship it over here (to Israel)? here it cost about 500 euro, I believe it's cheeper there?

Thanks,
Elad.
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: //

Post by CitroJim »

wonderd wrote:Second, what is the name of the part on the pump in D5?
Hi Elad,

That's the Throttle Position Potentiometer. It is basically just a variable resistor and is used by the ECU to determine engine load by comparing the throtttle position and engine RPM.

What has happened to yours?
Jim

wonderd

Post by wonderd »

For some reason, the gas pedal (working together with the AL4 transmission) keeps loosing it's settings, and every time i need to go to the dealer to adjust it using their computer. last time they opened the Potentiometer to clean and dry it and sealed it with silicon.
Now I am looking for a new one to install before it starts again.
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99