Blower Stays on

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tfa

Blower Stays on

Post by tfa »

Hi All,

I have an Year 2002 peugot 406 HDI where recently the blower fan started to remain on. I changed the blower control module in the center dash but it made no difference. When I had this module fully disconnected it was still blowing. It appears that the fan is controlled through the ignition switch.
Any ideas why it remains on ?

[/list]
Regards

Tom Faughnan
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

In the Xantias the main feed is indeed through the ignition switch which has a tendancy to burn out. If this is the case, this is usually bypassed which means that the fan will operate regardless of whether the ignition is on or off.

Perhaps this has been done on yours?
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
tfa

Post by tfa »

At the moment the fan will only come on when the ignition is turned!
Regards

Tom Faughnan
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I think from 98/99 onwards Xantia's had the relay mod fitted at the factory so the ignition switch only controlled the relay, and the relay took the current.
I think CitroJim's Activa blower transistors needed replacing and he only had a hurricane or nothing (by disconnecting the power to the blower).

May be the same with 406's
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Does look like shorted output transistors causing the blower to spin flat-out:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21758

Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
tfa

Post by tfa »

Thanks for that. So if I swap out the blower heater it should prove this point ?
Regards

Tom Faughnan
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Yes, providing that you get hold of a known good one, because the wreckers must be full of the ones that have all packed up in the same way.
Other things to look out for are that the blades turn freely, and that the terminals aren’t blackened from overheating caused by loose plugs.
If all of that looks normal, there is still the possibility of worn brushes that would cause the motor not to spin.
tfa

Air Blower

Post by tfa »

To recap (I had a peugot 406 year 02 where the blower heater is continuously blowing. I swapped out the control panel in the dash but no joy) Well the air blower has been blowing for the past month and I did nothing about getting a new blower. Eventually the other day the blower stopped working. I replaced the blower this morning to find that the new blower does not work either. I check the fuse panel and all fuses are ok. Now something else is gone between the igition and the blower. Does anyone have any ideas or have a wiring diagram ?
Regards

Tom Faughnan
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hoping that the 406 is related to the Xantia Mk II, :? that had a relay added to operate the blower.
Maybe check with a test lamp to find where the supply to the motor may be interrupted.
Xantia stories here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17012

From RichardW: http://www.geocities.com/tricky992002/fanmod.xls

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21419
tfa

Its gets better

Post by tfa »

I tested with a multi meter to realize that there is a 14V supply comingto the fan, but when I connect the fan there is no joy. However when I connevt the fan across teh terminals of the battery it works ???? There must be a pulse ............. thing going on and thuis is what regulates the spped ofthe fan!!
Regards

Tom Faughnan
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Since you changed the control module, we can’t suspect that anymore.
It could be the motor earthing that went open, giving 14V on the black terminal.
You could try with a wire from the black terminal to the metalwork under there.

As you had the motor spinning before without the control box connected, the motor was obviously ‘out of control’, a probable indication of short circuit in the drive transistors attached to the motor.
What you have now is something else that let go, probably due to the constant high current.
juraj

Post by juraj »

hi

i have a problem with my xantia fan

tried two different boards, one had no operation at all, other caused the fan to run at all times regardless of switch position at a fairly low speed,

i replaced the transistors on one board only to get : run at all times regardless of switch position at a fairly low speed,

the transistors a PNP, thus the signal to them must be high to cuase them to be off, and low to cause them to be on, my signal is a conctant 4V odd regrdlesss of switch position, 4v might explain the low speed. Looking at a diagram of the AC system from clogzz clearly shows that the signal to the transistors comes from the AC computer or bitron computer. The switch output is supplied to the computer. So I am assuming either the switch is faulty or the computer is faulty.

diagrams in question:

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/ ... 95_97a.jpg

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/ ... 95_97b.jpg

this seems a little silly to me as if the computer fails you don't get a gaurantee of simple fan operation,

bye all
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Maybe try moving the speed slider quickly through its entire range several times to dislodge any dust causing dead spots, like clearing static from audio volume controls.
If that doesn’t help, squirting WD 40 into the slider may help.
If not, then it’s the climate ECU’s turn.