Changing BX 16 RH driveshaft bearing.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

IanR
My Cars:

Changing BX 16 RH driveshaft bearing.

Post by IanR »

MY BX 16 TGS has developed a rumbling sound from the RH drive shaft area. I think it's the intermediate driveshaft bearing (the wheelbearing has been stripped and looks perfect)
Has anyone changed the RH driveshaft intermediate bearing, (the one incorporated into the RH rear engine mounting) and if so what should I watch out for?
In particular, is it OK to take out the RH driveshaft on its own, as long as the LH shaft is undisturbed? (manual warns of dire consequences if both shafts taken out at once, unless a mandrel of some sort is put in place of the LH one - not sure if removing the RH one alone is OK without doing this - can anyone clarify ?)
Thanks, Ian.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Ian - There should be no problem taking out the o/s driveshaft. The dire consequences you spoke of only apply on transmissions prior to 1987 when a support shaft need be put in to keep the sun gears in place. After that date either side or both can be removed as required. As for replacing the intermediate bearing, they are difficult to remove unless you have a very long puller. In my own case, I had to resort to replacing the complete shaft. Don't forget to drain the oil before removing the shaft.
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

Thanks. I just wanted to be sure.
It looks as if the bearing will come with the shaft rather than staying in its housing, so I guess the issue is getting it off the shaft when it's all out. If so, it would take a truly enormous puller to reach it from the shaft end. We'll see anyway.
Ian.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Ian - Yes! you're right. When the nuts are undone and the bolts turned on the intermediate housing, the shaft easily slides through the housing. The bearing is a tight fit on the shaft. Another problem I recall, was locating just the replacement bearing. You would be well advised to have a new oil seal ready to put in. Originals once disturbed tend to leak.
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

Point taken, thanks.
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

Well, hit same problem. Couldn't figure how to get the bearing off the shaft. It's held on by some sort of collar, with what looks like a thread behind it. Won't unscrew (either way) though, and its position makes driving it off difficult without doing damage. Manual dosen't even acknowledge that this part even exists, let alone how to deal with it!
Bearing had zero play, but was very low on grease.
So, greased the bearing and reassembled, and the fact that it's (almost) silenced it at least tells me I've found the problem. At lest the car is now driveable without doing more damage, though it would be better to change the bearing if I can.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Ian - Glad to hear that you've solved your problem. If you have to do the intermediate bearing, the collar and the bearing pull off together. There's nothing to screw. The new bearing is knocked on followed by the collar. A very difficult job to do without the required puller.