Xsara 1.4 aircon - electrical problem (relay?)

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

__CA__

Xsara 1.4 aircon - electrical problem (relay?)

Post by __CA__ »

I have a Xsara 1.4 West Coast with aircon, '99 T-reg, 154k miles but she wears them well :D

When I press the aircon button, the green light on the button comes on but there is no discernable drop in engine revs to show that the compressor has kicked in and is working. Needless to say there is no cold air either!

I pulled the electrical connector that goes to the compressor's clutch (I assume it is a clutch as its pulley is always being turned by the belt) off and tested it every which way with the engine running and the switch both on and off, and there is definitely no signal going to the clutch to tell it to engage.

I've checked the fuses under the dash and under the bonnet (by the battery) but none of them seem to have blown. Is there a relay somewhere that could be playing up?

Reading some other aircon posts (XM, Xantia), it seems as though there's a pressure switch which doesn't let the compressor run if there is no gas in the system - presumably the Xsara's system is the same? I have no idea if there's any gas in the system, it has never worked in the 3 months I've had the car.

Perhaps it's time to use the £10-off voucher I have for my local nationwide autocentre to do a service... :roll:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

first thing to check is for gas in the system,if no gas pressure then the a/c wont kick in.
Being a mk 1 xsara my money is on a leak at the bottom of the condensor where the pipe joins to it at the o/s.
__CA__

Post by __CA__ »

wheeler wrote:first thing to check is for gas in the system,if no gas pressure then the a/c wont kick in.
Being a mk 1 xsara my money is on a leak at the bottom of the condensor where the pipe joins to it at the o/s.
You were correct!

'A monumental leak' according to the garage. It doesn't seem that expensive to fix at £208 but there seems to be a nationwide shortage of condensers, no one has them in stock... :roll:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

there are loads on Ebay
__CA__

Post by __CA__ »

Now why didn't I think of that? Must be the heat!

Cheers
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I have a leak in exactly the same place! The AC bloke reckoned I would need to remove the normal radiator etc to get the AC condensor out whereas someone else said do it via taking the bumper off?

Does anyone know the simplest way, I already have a replacement condensor to go in
Darren
2000 Xsara VTS
1986 Visa GTi 1.9 16v
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Just noticed this. Wonder what the leak is at this point on the condensor... corrosion, crack, seal failing?? Might it be "DIY" repairable if you get it off the car?

David