Air bag retaining screws - Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caeclyd
My Cars:

Air bag retaining screws - Xantia

Post by caeclyd »

Does anybody know what type of screw holds the air bag to the steering wheel?
I have followed the Haynes manual on how to disconect the battery etc. It then says turn the wheel to the appropriate position & remove the screws. No mention of what type of screw. I have an array of Torx,phillips,pozidrive etc but none seem to fit. You cannot see the screw as it is partly hidden.
I hope you can help.
Rory
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

Sorry I forgot to mention what I was doing.
I am replacing the ignition switch and the indicator/lighting stalk.
Can I replace these without having to remove the steering wheel?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Its a T30 size Torx head screw. (I struggled with it when I removed the airbag on my Xantia)
And yes, you do have to remove the wheel to get at the indicator/light switch unfortunately!
Regards,
Nick
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

Thanks Nick.
I'll go out & have a go!
Rory
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

The saga continues!
Well I managed to remove the two airbag retaining screws,thanks to Nick. No wonder they were difficult to locate,the screws were approx 15 degrees off vertical.
Air bag removed & stored proceeded to remove securing nut .After nut removed I was slightly distracted and whilst"tapping" the steering wheel off the shaft I heard a ping and a load of wires & brass rings came from the centre of the wheel (its the part which holds the two stalks. S**t!
What is this component called & do you think andyspares have them in stock?
I hope somebody has some answers.....please.
rory
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Is it the rotary connector that has come apart ?
i.e. The component that allows the radio control & airbag connections to pass from the steering wheel to the column ?
Its a bit hard to visualise just from your description, its over 6 months since I last dismantled the steering wheel on my car!
Nick
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Just had a quick look at the Haynes manual, and it does sound as if you've pulled the rotary connector apart I'm afraid. Not sure if Andyspares sell them, if not a breakers yard might be the best bet for a replacement ?
neilminto

Post by neilminto »

I think you'll find this is commonly known as a "pingf##ckit". It's onomatapaeic. There are several types fitted to most cars - and Cits have more than most.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Bit late now Rory but the damage just caused could have been avoided if you had used the search facility and typed "air bag removal".
A lesson there for other's, to search first, the subject might have been covered allready.
If you are lucky the connector halves might only have come unclipped, don't envy you winding all that cable up though, pay attention to the centering of it and have the roadwheels straight ahead when you put it back, or it will break again.
Good luck
Dave
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

Nick & Dave,
Thanks for your advice. I've just replaced the rotary connector(£25 from scrap yard) & steering wheel etc.
Whilst i was in the yard a customer in front of me was in a bit of trouble with his BX, Ignition system. Hopefully on his return he will have logged onto Andyspares and seen the light.
Thanks again,
Rory