Intermittent Cabin Heater Fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caeclyd
My Cars:

Intermittent Cabin Heater Fan

Post by caeclyd »

Dear All,
On my 95 Xantia 1.9D the heater fan does only works occasionally. To operate the fan I have to turn the ignition switch several times in an attempt to "wake" the fan up. If this fails I just leave the fan in the on position & after a few miles it sometimes comes on by itself . I have checked the fusebox for loose conections etc & found nothing.
Before I remove half the dashboard has any body had any similar problems?
Coincidentally the rear demist switch does not appear to work when the fan is not working !
Could it be a relay ?
Chris Peddie

Post by Chris Peddie »

Hi,
Its not as simple as a relay I'm afraid but is a very common problem on Xantias!! It is usually a result of the ignition switch itself breaking - the same section switches both the fan and the heated rear window.
So the most likely option is to replace the switch and get yourself an additional key for your key-ring!
Chris
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If you check out the following web pages you can see that both the Ventilator fan and the Rear window heater run off the same ignition switch contact, but through different fuses (fan fuse 20, rear window fuse 27).
So I'm afraid Chris is probably right!
//NiSk
http://citroeny.cz/servis/xantiaser/ele ... topeni.gif
http://citroeny.cz/servis/xantiaser/ele ... i_okno.gif
David.Cox
My Cars:

Post by David.Cox »

Just another thought from a BX owner. I had this problem with a BX heater fan and the solution was a new control box, which in the BX is located on the fan housing. If the Z has the same arrangement then this might be the solution, and not costly to replace ( at least on the BX)
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

Problem sorted.
Thanks Chris & NiSk your diagnosis was correct. Replacing the ignition switch cured the fan/rear demist fault.
Rory