Zx Rear disc brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chrisk

Zx Rear disc brakes

Post by Chrisk »

I have a 1995 ZX 1.9TD Aura with drum rear brakes. Has anybody fitted rear disks and if so how easy was it?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Chris, I did the same thing to a 205 diesel some years ago, which has basicly the same axle, the easies way for you to go about it is to swap the entire axle/subframe from a (think it has rear discs) Volcane or other hot ZX.
I ended up making one good axle from my original one and a gti axle because of rust damaged shafts on the trailing arm's.
Stub axle's were a different length though easey to swap, and also the boss that the grease seal rides on was different, apart from that it all went on with no trouble, all bolt holes were there and threaded.
There should be a deceleration valve in the brake line to prevent early lock up but I didn't put one on, and even on the odd occasion's when I had to stop sharply the rears never locked up.
The parking brake on the disc setup was poor compared to the drums.
Good luck
Dave
Jon

Post by Jon »

As Dave says, the easiest way to do it would be to buy a complete rear beam from any ZX Volcane, and swop by unbolting the brake line, 4 subframe mounts and handbrake cables.
Best to renew all 4 subframe mounts whilst new beam is on the ground. Fairly simple bolt up job to fit beam.
You will then have to swop handbrake cables for the Disc type, and modify brake pipe (the disc type rear brakes have small in line compensator under the car).
Also worth pointing out that Volcane/16v rear beams are about one spline lower at the back than other models, so rear of car will be slightly lower than before.
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Once you have got round to fitting the discs at the back, don't forget to give them a work-out occasionally, otherwise thay will rust up!
//NiSk
Chrisk

Post by Chrisk »

Dave,
After you changed the back axle on your 205 was there a noticeable improvement in braking? Do you feel it was worth the effort??
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Chris, car had better brakes when I fitted the rear discs than it had when it was new, at the same time it had all new discs, soft pad's, new front calipers, new copper pipe and flexible pipe all round, I'd do it again tomorrow to my ZX if I could drop on a complete axle for the right money.
Car was about six year's old and 150000 odd miles, drums were buggered so I decided on spending the dosh on discs instead,
To allways have the pedal right at the top and hardly move is another good point, instead of it going further down as the linings wear, as with drum brakes and those lethargic automatic adjusters.
Well worth the effort in my book.
Dave