ZX Volcane TD rear knocks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thew
My Cars:

ZX Volcane TD rear knocks

Post by thew »

I wonder if any of you out there in internet land can help.
I recently bought a ZX which has a knocking noise from the offside rear under braking and when going round a left hand bend at any speed. The robber I bought it off told me that it was the exhasut and would have it sorted, but didn't.
I have had a look and have 'visually' discounted the exhaust, subframe mounts, shockers, but can't see anything.
Just the last thing. It disappears when I have a couple of passengers in the back.
Any ideas ??? Cheers.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Interesting. Probably the best bet is to get the car on a 2 poster ramp with all wheels off the ground to allow you to check properly for wear in subframe mounts, whether in fact the exhaust is loose etc. I wonder whether you may have wear in the rear arm bearings on the offside, has the ZX done alot of miles?
If so, this would explain why the noise went away with people in the bck of the car, the arm would be at a different angle.
Edited by - jon on 12 Mar 2001 16:21:14
Edited by - jon on 12 Mar 2001 16:23:04
thew
My Cars:

Post by thew »

Nice one Jon.
I had thought of this too, and had it confirmed just now by a bloke with a 2 post ramp!!. He said that there was no play in it but if he hit the tyre upward knocking could be heard in the bearing. It has 94,000 on it by the way, and the rear wheels don't sag inwards like BX's when this happens.