Xantia 2.1TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hardmanm

Xantia 2.1TD

Post by hardmanm »

I have a Xantia 2.1TD (44K miles), with one irritating fault : particularly on cold mornings the gearchange is rather stiff, and the 1st to 2nd gear change can crunch!
Once warmed up it is fine, I have added Molyslip and changed the oil (new fully synthetic 80/90 grade), all to little avail.
Help gratefully received!
Mark
broome
My Cars:

Post by broome »

If the linkages are the same or similar to tthe BX then I would look there and also the clutch cable (if you have one). The linkages can get very dry, or partlially disconnect. Look also for binding on the chassis/engine compartment.
If a clutch cable is fitted this may need adjustment.
Why they disappear when warmed up sounds like an adjustment/linkage issue.
paulb
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If I'm not mistaken the 2.1TD has a hydraulicly operated clutch, does it feel as though it may have air in it (spongy).
How does it go into reverse, if it crunches here then you have got clutch drag, friction disc not dissengaging completely, does it take up drive smoothly or is there some juddering.
Dave
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

You're right, Dave - the 2.1 Xantia has a hydraulic clutch. What's more - it's a sealed unit, so it's not possible to carry out adjustment or maintenance. If it goes wrong, it means complete replacement. - Ouch!
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

Thanks for the info
Yes you're right it does have a hydraulic clutch, using fluid from the main reservoir.
It goes into gear nicely when stationary (forward & reverse) which makes me think it's not clutch adjustment, just stiff and baulky when moving - worse the colder the weather
Mark