XM External Temperature Sensor(SORTED!)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Redspecial2000

XM External Temperature Sensor(SORTED!)

Post by Redspecial2000 »

Can anyone tell me where the sensor that detects the external temperature for the LCD display is located?? My temperature display just repeatedly flashes "- -"
HELP!!!
Update: Found it and fixed it! But it seems to be giving bizarre readings! Think I'll invest in a new one...
Edited by - redspecial2000 on 11 Aug 2001 12:44:22
jonkw
My Cars:

Post by jonkw »

If memory serves me correctly, I'm sure that the sensor is located within one of the door mirrors, the n/s one?
Someone else might want to confirm this.
Andyspares Ltd
forum@andyspares.com
nevorton1
My Cars:

Post by nevorton1 »

my xm 3.0 sei temp display went to just 2 flashing lines,there is indeed a sensor in the lhs door mirror but the one which had become disconnected is down low behind the lhs foglamp, accessed by removing the lhs wheel arch liner! mending the wires restored the temp display but make sure the sensor is kept positioned well away from engine heat.who knows what the mirror sensor does?!
Steep1
My Cars:

Post by Steep1 »

I think there is a difference between the Phase 1 and Phase 2 XM as regards the location of the outside temperature sensor. My 1996 VSX (which is a Phase 2) was giving stupid readings of the outside temperature and Citroen sold me a replacement little knob of plastic for £15 that they said goes into the lhs mirror assembly. They also said that the bumper location is a feature of Phase 1 XMs.
Can anyone tell me how on earth I get the old mirror sensor out and the new one in?
thanks
Steep
Edited by - steep1 on 11 Mar 2002 19:26:30
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hi Steep!
If you look carefully at the under edge of your L.H. mirror, you will see a small wire loop hanging just under the glass. This is the end of a wire spring. Pulling on it will release the glass from the servo motor holder. Once you have the glass in your hand the details of the construction become plain.
//NiSk
Steep1
My Cars:

Post by Steep1 »

Thanks NiSk, I had already found how to remove the glass but that doesn't give me access to the temperature sensor, which appears to be glued into the hinge part of the mirror. The sensor face can be seen protruding from below the hinge. I can easily remove the whole mirror from the door, but I don't want to until I am sure I will be able to get access to the sensor. Can anyone tell me how to get at the sensor?
Edited by - steep1 on 11 Mar 2002 19:22:19
Jimmydeath
My Cars:

Post by Jimmydeath »

On my H Reg SEI I can access the sensor by removing the mirror glass followed by the three Torx screws that attach the motor assembly to the wing mirror shell. After this you need to prise off (crowbar more like) the sensor which is glued on.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I have read on a Swedish Citroën site that the temp sensor absorbs water moisture and this is what causes it to fail. Also that if a failed sensor is dried out (heating carefully with a hair dryer or hot air pistol, checking that it again works and then encapsulating it in silicon, saves you £15!
Must be worth a try.
//NiSk
Steep1
My Cars:

Post by Steep1 »

Thanks NiSK, I wonder if I can dry it in-situ without melting the mirror assembly!
cheers
Steep