Multifunction display compatibility - C5

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: Multifunction display compatibility - C5

Post by moizeau »

I'm not disagreeing with you Marc, regarding the specs listed, and I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to buy one blind without testing it. All I can say, from my experience, is that the the one's I found could be configured to work perfectly, even though the C3 has a separate screen for the AC, so it didn't show on mine, it could be told to display it within the configuration menu of the MFD ECU. If Avi has a screen sitting there, there is no harm in trying it, worst case is that it doesn't work, so he takes it back out. I found that a lot of the other options were there in the background and just had to be activated.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No Pete, sorry - that is one of the biggest issues people fail to understand and I've spent days sorting these out over the years for members who have bricked their cars up as a result.

The BSIs used to be different levels and PSA moved to all encompassing units to save costs.
These are shared across PSA vehicles.

As such, there are certain parameters that must be configured to the default values. You won't have this information necessarily, but I do have access to it. As I tried to explain in my last post, there are distinct differences between Peugeot , DS and Citroen vehicles in how the display and operate their systems.

Some have dashboard LCD displays others do not, some display certain info on one type of display others differently. It is not a pick what you want and do as you please setup. If certain values are misconfigured it can cause thee whole car to light up like a Christmas tree and the electronics to go haywire. Trust me I have spent hours on a remote to someone in Europe who bricked his C5 because he changed an option in Diagbox to display some information which was not relevant to his model and that was the result.

I had to go step by step parameter by parameter to set it as it should for the vehicle and options fitted in order to restore his car.

So respectfully, I know what I am on about as as I've had to do this several times! :wink:

And another reason why a Lexia / PP2000 / Diagbox can be a dangerous tool in the hands of somebody that doesn't know how to use it and why we advise people to read the notes on the diagnostic pages to avoid issues like I have described:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60600
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Thanx to both of you. in order to make it clearer, I pictured the label of the MFD that I took from the C5 mkii. I can't guarantee that it was not replaced by the previous owner, but I guess that it's the original part. as per "upgrading" to RD45, I think I'll pass, since it seems to be too complicated, so my main concern now is only to replace the MFD.
Avi
IMG_20190113_054512.jpg
moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Judging by the fact that the rear casing is white I would guess this is made by Borg. If this is the case, don't bother, it will die. The later screens were made by Johnson Controls and had a black case. I'd advise following Marc's suggestions and try and source a black one. To see the issues with the Borg units google '407 mfd'. It is more common on the 407 because the screen is fully exposed to sunlight. It's a little more sheltered on the Citroens but the heat will eventually kill it.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
citroC5
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 Tourer 2.0hdi
2008 Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6Hdi (gone)
1994 Citroen AX 1.1i Image (belongs to my better ½)
1991 Citroen BX 16 TZS (gone)
2000 Volvo S60 T5 (gone)

Post by citroC5 »

Would it be out of place if I asked if I can bung an RD45 into a C5 instead of an RNEG2? Would the centre colour display in the binnacle work or would I be committing a tremendous no-no?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It wouldn't work. To do that you would need to purchase the EMF-C screen with compatible software level and it would also need configuring for the vehicle. Apart from the screen the RD45 would also need VIN coding and configuring too. You may need to check harness compatibility too.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc