Diagbox - I will read this once and once only

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

petef
My Cars: DS DS5, C4 Coupe, DS23 Pallas, Xantia Activa

Diagbox - I will read this once and once only

Post by petef »

So I decided to update to Diagbox from my venerable Lexia software that I have been using successfully for several years.
I initially installed Diagbox 7.02 on a fairly ancient HP Pavilion laptop operating on XP Pro SP3. Although installation and activation were ultimately ok, the spec of the HP made Diagbox very slow to load and incredibly slow to shut down - about 15 mins....! However the first time I used it with my original Actia 9780.Z5 clone on my C5 it did work. It identified the car VIN number and ran through the global tests no problem, dialogue with all ecu's being established. However it only did this once. Whilst the software still loads and the HP recognises the Actia as operating normally, there has never been any further communication with the C5 and also my wife's C4 that I have tried it on. Manually inputting VIN numbers also results in no dialogue with the cars.
Thinking that the fault might ultimately lie with the laptop, I managed to blag a more modern Acer from a friend and put Diagbox on this. This runs Windows Vista which I appreciate isn't recommended for Diagbox. However the installation and activation were successful and, this time, everything runs much more rapidly with very quick load up and close down of the software. Trying the system on the C5 everything worked well - but once again for the first time only. Subsequent tests in the C5 and the C4 resulted as before - no dialogue. The Actia is, as before, recognised by the laptop and indicated as working properly in Device Manager so not a driver problem with Vista
There is no problem with the Actia - I have gone back to using my old trusty Sony Vaio/Lexia system with it and it works fine.
My question is - why does Diagbox/Actia work once after installation and then never again. If my Actia hardware is too old how come it worked for that one time?????
Crazy or what???
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Diagbox - I will read this once and once only

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Several reasons - did you connect the USB from the VCI to each USB port on the laptop (s) and allow the drivers to install on each port in turn? Drivers can work fine one moment but they can be temperamental. The Windows Firewall can also block communication on the ports - so important that all requests are allowed at installation.

Other reason could be it's been blocked after first use it there has been an active internet connection - only takes a few seconds....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
petef

Post by petef »

Thanks Marc. Tried it on different ports, indicated as working properly on each. Firewall turned off
Interesting point about active internet connection, there is a possibility that laptop might have tried to connect wirelessly. If Diagbox has been blocked what do I do? Complete re-install/ activation or what?
Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It’s important that your network adapter is actually enabled, but that no active internet connection is available. So if you have a wireless network adapter and you have logged into your WiFi network at some point, it is important to disconnect from that network and make sure that it is not set to auto connect with a saved password.

Also important that Firewall is set to on when installing, then allow all the connections through as it asks.

If you think it has been deactivated, you should of taken a copy of your license file the first time you installed it (Appdiag.sys). If you have this, paste a copy of it and overwrite the one in the programme directory.

Marc
petef

Post by petef »

Shame we lost yesterday's posts because of the outage. I will re-iterate where I am now. I managed to find the Appdiag.sys file where you said but unfortunately I hadn't taken a copy of it after the initial installation. I have checked through the information that came with my Diagbox software purchase on ebay and nowhere is this mentioned in the installation instructions or You tube video which was referenced. Caveat emptor.
I am not certain what to do now. I think trying to completely uninstall Diagbox from the Vista laptop might be very difficult, bits of it seem to lodge everywhere. I may, when fully re-enthused, attempt a clean installation of XP SP3 then Diagbox on it.
I only wanted Diagbox so that I could use it on my daughter's C4 Cactus and I'm not actually sure that the latest versions which will work off-line outside the Citroen Dealer network will cover this car.
I will stick with Lexia for my C5 and my wife's C4........

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Peter, let's try again - sorry for the issues yesterday - there was a bit of corruption to one of the databases as a result of our host pulling the plug a few weeks ago.

1) Yes - it can be a nightmare to uninstall - I don't ever recall Vista as a supported Operating System for this though.
2) XP SP3 should be fine - I assume you have the SP3 offline updates as this OS is de-supported by Microsoft now.
3) Your seller obviously omitted this crucial bit of info about backing up the license file - or did not know - not surprising to be honest - there are a lot of Mickey Mouse sellers.
4) Diagbox does have new upgrades released by the community - but it is important to not upgrade for the sake of it or you may actually loose functionality. The Cactus C4 is supported - but will need the appropriate update - depending on the year of the Cactus.

Marc
petef

Post by petef »

Thanks Marc
One final question before I retire and ponder further. If Diagbox has deactivated would it not either refuse to load or tell me ? At present I'm asked to wait a few seconds during 'verification of the activation of the product' and then it continues to load as if all is ok. Just no communication with the car when plugged in, no VIN identification or dialogue with ecu's
Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Does the VCI have a green light on when it is connected to the vehicle with Diagbox loaded?

If not, then it’s possible the pins or cable connected to the pins has come away. You may need to take a look inside the unit.

But then again, are you saying this same VCI used with Lexia is working? If that’s the case then it’s likely to be software related.

Marc
petef

Post by petef »

Yes the Actia interface works fine with Lexia, just not with Diagbox - except the first time...............................
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So I’m now thinking that maybe you have an old revision B interface. These older interfaces may not be compatible with digbox except for the older version 5. Or it may only iwork with the basic version of Diagbox Box 7.

Diagbox updates the firmware on the VCI according to the version of the software. It’s possible that if you have an older revision B VCI then the firmware may not be compatible and that could be causing the communication issue.

If you do decide to open up the case to check the pins and the connectors on the cable, take a few pictures of each side of the two boards in the unit and post them up here. I should be able to tell you if it’s a revision C or a revision B

Marc
petef

Post by petef »

Interesting stuff. Will have to take a deep breath to summon the courage to look inside the Actia.
Still don't understand how it managed to work fine the first time though......with both installations
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

In that case I am still going with driver issues and Firewall requests that must be enabled at installation.

Apologies for the typos in the last post, it was down to Siri 🙄 getting her knickers back to front. I’ve corrected it now.

Marc
petef

Post by petef »

Just checked outside of case. There is a B/ at end of first part of serial number. And I have had it at least 5 years, maybe 6. Maybe, like me, it's just too damn old to keep up with the younguns.
Attachments
Actia.jpg
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There is, somewhere (I think Marc has it) a program that can tell you what revision chipset your module has got. Mine is a rev. B chipset, but somehow (for reasons unknown) it is prepared to work with DiagBox 7.15. I disable the WiFi on my netbook before I fire up the DiagBox software, and I do not let DiagBox check for updates (it wouldn't succeed anyway, as it would not find a connection to the Internet). I think that, as the physical network port is not disabled (despite it not being physically connected to a network) the DiagBox software is prepared to work.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

petef wrote: 27 May 2019, 21:36 Just checked outside of case. There is a B/ at end of first part of serial number. And I have had it at least 5 years, maybe 6. Maybe, like me, it's just too damn old to keep up with the younguns.

ignore the serial number, most of them have that, when they cloned thes, they also cloned the bar codes and the labels! :rofl2:

The only way to ascertain the version for sure is to open her up and check the boards. It’s quite easy to do.

Marc