206 code reader

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alexfisher
My Cars: Dead = 2CV's = Renault 5's = Bx = Xantia = Xsara.
Living = Peugeot 206 = Nemo.

206 code reader

Post by alexfisher »

Hi All - I have the orange engine light on constantly on my 2003 206 Look 1.4 petrol - (with decent battery).
I bought a 'Streetwize OBD2 scan tool' from from Euro Car Parts.

The code reader instructions expected a display message 'C.A.N. OBD2' but I get 'SW OBD11' instead.
The tool refused to connect and issued a 'Link Error'.

Can anyone recommend a scan tool known to work with my 206?
Thanks - Alex.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: 206 code reader

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Realistically the best device for reading any PSA vehicles would be a Diagbox device (such as those offered by Easy Diagnostics), as it can 'understand' the protocols used by PSA. It should be able to handle most Citroens and Peugeots (either by using DiagBox directly, or Lexia (for Citroen) or PP2000 (for Peugeots)). I have such a Lexia clone (as they are commonly known), and it has worked on both Citroens and Peugeots. You will also need a computer running a 32b version of Windows (ideally Windows XP or Windows 7, and definitely NOT Windows 10). I have a Toshiba netbook running Windows 7 (and with 2GB RAM), and it does a decent enough job for my needs.

However, unless you plan on doing a lot of sessions work on your car it could be worth looking through the following post to see if there are any Forum members near to you who also have a Lexia, (and are willing to help);

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56452
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

alexfisher wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 16:41 Hi All - I have the orange engine light on constantly on my 2003 206 Look 1.4 petrol - (with decent battery).
I bought a 'Streetwize OBD2 scan tool' from from Euro Car Parts.

The code reader instructions expected a display message 'C.A.N. OBD2' but I get 'SW OBD11' instead.
The tool refused to connect and issued a 'Link Error'.

Can anyone recommend a scan tool known to work with my 206?
Thanks - Alex.
Alex - your 206 may not have a CAN compliant network, hence the reason why it is displaying OBD II - which should be fine - older PSA cars used VAN multiplexing or a hybrid of the VAN - CAN. Ignoring that message, is it actually reading any faults assuming you have any?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
alexfisher

Post by alexfisher »

Hi Marc - the scanner tool won't link. I assume that I have a fault code because of the engine warning light.
My Haynes manual suggests that it is a multiplexing VAN (vehicle area network) as you say.
Shouldn't it still work with OBD(2/11) rated products?

Hell Razor 5543 - thanks for that info.
I did buy quite an expensive (Vista 32bit) Lexia 3 off eBay last year. The installation guide was such a NIGHTMARE piece of JUNK and the installation process generated so many WARNINGS I decided not to risk it on my vehicle.
As I still have the device I wonder if I can run it off some alternatively obtained software? Any idea if this would work?
I also messaged Lexia owner OSX in Bristol in case he/she can help.

Thanks - Alex.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Alex yes it should work on any OBD II compliant car - it just means that it may also work with CAN compliant cars.

As to your next question - No. The Diagbox software is designed to work specifically with PSA cars (Citroen / Peugeot and DS Automobiles). The hardware (VCI) interface is designed to work with the software and is a clone of the original used in the dealership offering similar levels of functionality.

The reason it is so fiddly to install is that it is a 'modified' version to allow the likes of us DIYers to use it with our cars. It does have specific requirements and is a pain in the rear to install, but should be worth it in the end. You just need to make sure you really have a dedicated diagnostic laptop that you can use - as it is a messy installation. You do need to jump through hoops to install it and allow all the firewall requests, but it will be worth it in the end. Being a 2003 car, Diagbox will automatically launch Peugeot Planet 2000 for you and that will be a much better solution than a generic code reader.

If you need help installing it just ask.

Marc
alexfisher

Post by alexfisher »

Hi Marc - thanks for the response and encouragement - I'll have another go at the Lexia3.
I have a version of 'Citroen SEDRE Backup' & 'Citroen DocBackup' (the online manual & electrics programs) on the laptop I will use for the Lexia3. I guess it might be worth partitioning the hard drive and putting a second version of Vista on the other partition to avoid possible conflicts?

I also wondered if you might take a quick look at my installation guide in case you can spot anything 'terminal'?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/164669562@N02/

Thanks again - Alex.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It’s a bit long winded, but the jist of it is there. A second bootable partition is fine, windows 7 works fine. When activatiing make sure you network adapter is enabled, but make sure there is no active internet connection. As you won’t be needing the internet, I would leave the anti virus off of that partition. Before updating check that 7.02 works as that will be fine for your car . If you update beyond that, the firmware on the VCI gets updated automatically and can be incompatible with older cars.

Always take a backup of your licence file when initially activated and keep a copy of it safe. Forget SEDRE and DocBackup, they won’t work anymore with Diagbox, as they are all server based now with PSA.

Marc
alexfisher

Post by alexfisher »

Hi Marc (& All) - this is where I am.

My Lexia3:
Top side label A.1281 Z.
Bottom side label 9780.Z5.
USB vendor/product 103a:f008.

I have:
Read DiaBox manual.
Installed Win7 Pro 32bit.
Installed DiagBox v07.02.
Manualy activated DiagBox (saved licence) according to install guide (https://www.flickr.com/photos/164669562@N02).
Connected Lexia3 to laptop.

DiagBox menu bar PSA PEUGEOT CITROËN authentication indicator button is grey?
1) I guess this is how I use it?

Selected Peugeot -> Portal -> 206 -> 206. (There are also options 206MUX, 206+).
This gives a screen showing vehicle silhouette and laptop with Lexia(?), and instructs 'PLEASE CONNECT A VCI'.
Proceeding WITHOUT connecting to my vehicle displays options 'DIAGTOOL' and 'PEUGEOTPLANET 2000'.

BECAME UNCERTAIN HERE...

My immidiate requirement is to read/fix-cause/clear the engine fault light code.
2) Can you recommend the simplest safest read/clear procedure?

I am also uncertain about:
3) What I should be aware of to avoid BRICKING my car?
4) That there is no advantage or possibility of connecting via the internet?
5) What can Lexia3 do in this configuration and how might it be limited?
6) Can you point me to any useful futher reading/tutorials/info?

Thanks again - Alex.
alexfisher

Post by alexfisher »

Sucess - thanks to Marc & Hell Razor5543!

I'll search the forum for info but can't resist posting the faults here.

Engine ECU
Intermittent fault. Downstream oxeygen sensor - Open circuit.
Engine ECU
Intermittent fault. Adaption of the quantity of air entering the manifold.

Both fields expanded to 'This fault can be caused by':
-Damaged connection or harness.
-Faulty control unit calibration.

Alex.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

alexfisher wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 17:28 Hi Marc (& All) - this is where I am.
BECAME UNCERTAIN HERE...
My immidiate requirement is to read/fix-cause/clear the engine fault light code.
2) Can you recommend the simplest safest read/clear procedure?
Just run a Global Test as you have done, then make a note of the fault code numbers - then READ and then CLEAR the faults. Take the car for a spin and then re-run the Global Test again - anything remaining is likely to be a 'Permanent Fault; until it is remedies - others that no longer appear would of bee intermittent / temporary faults and have self-cleared when the conditions for the fault's disappearance have occurred. Should the cause of the temporary fault re-occur, then the fault may well return again.

I am also uncertain about:
3) What I should be aware of to avoid BRICKING my car?
Don't play with option and do not change any configuration parameters - unless you know what you are doing - one simple change can render the car inoperable. The reason being that the ECUs are often used on several vehicles with PSA cars and certain options may not be applicable to your car.

4) That there is no advantage or possibility of connecting via the internet?
Always leave your network adapter enabled (as it uses the hardware Ids for activation reasons - BUT do not have an active WiFi connection (just disconnect from all valid WiFi connections so it cannot connect to the Internet.

5) What can Lexia3 do in this configuration and how might it be limited?
Not sure I understand your question. Lexia 3 is the software that is launched for Citroen vehicles and Peugeot Planet 2000 is launched for Peugeot vehicles pre 2007 ish. Later than this and 'Diagbox' software is launched. If you are asking what the tool can do - basically it is a dealer level diagnostic and has much of the functionality of the dealer tool. So extreme caution is advised. Always run a Globat Test first, this will check all the systems and ECUs and list any faults. Then you can select any fault to go into the submenu for a detailed description of the error. You can clear the fault code, but if the problem that caused it is not fixed, that won't magically cure it :-D it will need attention. There are other functions, like reading live data and parameters - which is useful for checking the data reported against reference values.

6) Can you point me to any useful futher reading/tutorials/info?
Unfortunately not, there is info out there on the web, but there is a comprehensive and costly training programme that PSA technicians must undertake before they are let loose on customer cars because of the obvious damage that could be done if one does not know how to use it. Remember these are not supposed to be for Joe Public. :)

Thanks again - Alex.

Marc