Key programmer

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jlm19900
My Cars: Citroen relay

Key programmer

Post by Jlm19900 »

Bit unsure which topic to put this under but here goes. I have a Citroen relay 65 reg, only came with one key so I need another. I have experience with opcom for Opel/Vauxhall cars and rather than go to main dealer would like to programme keys myself. Does anyone have any experience with obdstar h108 psa? On internet it looks pretty good although I’m yet to find out if it would work with my van. Or does anyone have any recommendations? I have seen Lexia, but I noticed a lot say that they work with windows 7 or earlier so not sure if I could get one that would work on windows 10.

Thanks everyone, Jon.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Key programmer

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Lexia is a software programme maintained for older vehicles (circa 2006 and earlier) and is bundled within Diagbox, which is the main software package used by PSA group and others. Diagbox works with all the later vehicles in the group, launching the most appropriate software for the vehicle being worked on. Diagbox will work for Citroen, Peugeot & DS Automobiles. It uses a VCI hardware interface and requires a suitable laptop to run.

It will work on Windows 10, but the 'Lexia and Peugeot Planet 2000 (also bundled for Peugeot) will not run directly on any 64 bit version of Windows (including 10), as Lexia and PP2000 were made using 16 bit code, unsupported in 64 bit editions of Windows. You will either have to use a 32 bit version, or set up a virtual machine under the 64 bit Windows you have and run it from there. You may also have to change the BIOS back to IDE mode from AHCI and the hard disk partition will normally need to be set to MBR not GPT. So that may impact on any existing programmes you may have.

It's another reason why it is highly recommended to have a dedicated cheaper laptop to use for diagnostics and not one that you use for anything else - apart from what I've already described, the Diagbox installation is very messy and creates folders all over the place!

Diagbox is the proprietary software used by PSA and is far more than a diagnostic tool, providing advanced fault finding and guided procedures for certain operations, including key coding for example. If you have one or more PSA vehicles and are considering having more in the future, then this has to be seen as an investment really. Third party code readers just don't cut the mustard. Installation can be fiddly and pre-conditions need to be met, because of all the variation of installation scenarios and different specs and hardware out there. It is also important if considering purchasing one, that you get a 'Full-Chip' unit Revision 'C' unit, as there are cheaper units being sold out there that are cut-down versions and many have communications issues with some later vehicles.

If considering, have a look at the Announcements section of the diagnostics Forum to find details of a discount for forum members from a recommended UK supplier.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Jlm19900

Post by Jlm19900 »

Thanks for the response Marc, I have had a look on the website which you said about and it says they are out of stock there so I will have a look around. If I get a lexia interface and download the Diagbox software then I can’t go far wrong? I’ll have a look for a cheap laptop running 32bit windows as well. Thank you
Jlm19900

Post by Jlm19900 »

Thinking of buying these two, seems like a good combination, not too expensive and does the job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-CHIP-RE ... 1751630895

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEAP-HP-Com ... 0740510800
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Try and get one with a minimum of 4Gb RAM, the faster processor the better of course. Installation instructions will be supplied with the ones from Easydiagnostics - they do sell out quite quickly as they are very popular, but do get stock back in regularly.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Jlm19900 wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 12:49 Thinking of buying these two, seems like a good combination, not too expensive and does the job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-CHIP-RE ... 1751630895

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEAP-HP-Com ... 0740510800
The Lexia kit looks fine, but forget the laptop - not enough welly and short of RAM - it will be too slow.

I have one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEAP-Lenovo ... ctupt=true

Also allow for a battery replacement on any second hand laptop, as it's extremely likely that they will have done their duty cycle. I got a higher capacity battery for mine when I got it as it would hold the charge very and that's not good for doing any diagnostic work on a car when you are connected up to the systems.

Marc
Jlm19900

Post by Jlm19900 »

Good find, cheers for that. Thinks that’s the setup I will get then, along with a 7800mah battery and should be great.