Laguna Heater Problem

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robert_crossley
My Cars:

Laguna Heater Problem

Post by robert_crossley »

I have a 1994 Laguna RT. On heater setting 1 with the temperature on full heat,the air is warm but obviously takes hours to heat the car. Setting on 2,3 or 4 the air goes cold in a matter of seconds. Can anyone help before the big freeze comes !!
Regards
Rob
JimW
My Cars:

Post by JimW »

Rob,
I had a similar problem with my Laguna earlier this year.
I good flush of the heater matrix fixed it, just using a hosepipe. It was obviously blocked as, if I remember correctly, I couldn't blow through it.
As it had been blocked I also gave the cooling system a two-part flush treatment, but that made no appreciable difference to the heater output.
The Haynes Laguna manual should tell you all you need to get access to the matrix pipes on the bulkhead, it's not especially difficult.
Lastly, there has been a fair bit of discussion over in the Citroën forum on using tap water in cooling systems. Don't make the mistake of assuming that the enemy is hard water - it isn't.
So when I flushed the matrix I made sure that I got as much of the tap water out as possible - blowing through the pipes, I think.
Furthermore, it seems that modern cooling systems really can't be treated like they could years ago, regular coolant changes (e.g. 2 years) are necessary - for the sakes of corrosion protection - and I now use de-ionised water, too.
Hope this helps - and let us know how you get on,
Jim.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Good luck - My Lag never got hot only warm (being spoiled rotten by Fords and Citroens i was disappointed)
I flushed my system and 3 days later the Matrix failed all over the footwell!
Fitted a new matrix (lots and LOTS of swearing) - and guess what - it was still only just warm!
Met a few other Lag sufferers, sorry owners who said theirs never got very hot either.
TazzyK

Post by TazzyK »

I have the same problem as you Robert_Crossley, and after flushing the system the heat has NOT improved. I've tried various methods, but the only thing left to try is flushing the matrix directly throught the joint near the bulkhead. I'm a bit reluctant to try this though as my matrix does have a slight leak and I fear it will get worse if I flush it, but I know that the matrix is all clogged up with rust (my anti freeze is new and clear, but the when I opened the joint near the bulkhead it was all rusty!)
Anyways, if you haven't got A/C then replacing the matrix is quite simple apparently, but if like me you have A/C, then its a bugger because the A/C has to be depressuried, all the dash has to come out and I been quoted near enough £500!
Anyways, it might be pointless as MartyHopkirk suggests, as I have too heard that the heater on the Lagunas are basically crap and dont generate much warmth!
Time to get out the ski jacket, hat and gloves in the car me thinks!
Unky Si
My Cars:

Post by Unky Si »

If you are any good with a small torx 20 and socket you can strip the dash and get the matrix out without a £500 bill we used to do loads of them a few years back.
Very fiddly but cheaper than £500......
fergie1971

Post by fergie1971 »

[:)]hi i have got same problem as all you freezing my butt of in my lag and i have just gone to the expense of fitting a new matrix( easy job really )but still only warm air but also got another problem my lag hardly registers on the temp gauge and now when i come to stop engine trys to stall. but if i let engine get up to operating temp it's ok for a while until i'm moving and the engine cools again and sam e probs all over again am thinking i am suffering from overcooling could i be right??
roaddigger58
My Cars:

Post by roaddigger58 »

[:D]I KEEP READING ABOUT HOW THE HEATERS ON LAGUNAS ARE RUBBISH.IS IT JUST THE EARLY ONES? I HAVE A 1999 1.8 16V RXE,AND TO BE HONEST THE AIR CON ON ITS LOWEST SETTING WILL TURN MY FEET NUMB!ALSO,ON ITS MAXIMUM,IT WILL STIFLE EVERYONE IN THE CAR.AS THE HEATER CONTROLS ARE ELECTRONIC,WHEN I PUSH SCREEN DEMIST BUTTON,IT AUTOMATICALLY TURNS ON AIR CON,TO USE DEHUMIDIFIED AIR,THIS CLEARS THE SCREEN IN SECONDS,IT IS AMAZING.I SUFFERED CRAP HEATERS IN ALL MY FORDS OVER THE YEARS,BUT THIS RENAULT PUTS THEM ALL TO SHAME!