What is this? (Pictures in thread)

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Guru Meditation

What is this? (Pictures in thread)

Post by Guru Meditation »

My Laguna Mk1 1998 1.8 8v RT uses it's water fairly quickly-like from maximum to minimum mark on header tank in 500miles or so. I can't see any leaks anywhere, the only thing I notice is the heater doesn't kick out loads of heat implying heater matrix may be duff so this is possibly where it's going. Another thing that bugs me is what the hell does this stuff in the header tank mean?
For the record the oil seems uncontaminated and the motor runs sweet (well about as sweet as it ever would[:p]) and I have drained, flushed and refilled the cooling system with the correct coolant mixture. Also, the coolant I replaced looked lovely and green-just fine in fact but I replaced it anyway.
Thanks
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Well it at first looks like 'rad weld' to stop a water leak. This would acount for the heater not letting out much heat. On second look becasue of the colour it could be rad weld with copper in it. This agin could be pointing to the heater. You sure there's no leaks? You definatly need to change that bottle cap as it seems a little leaky. This could be where your water is escaping from as when hot it will escape as steam.
jeffo
My Cars:

Post by jeffo »

Looking at the photos (nice and clear) it looks as if your coolant has frothed up either by boiling or a head gasket leak. Either way it looks as if you may have a problem.
I too had a heater problem on my Laguna and had to force water from a garden hose through the heater to clear it. What came out was a whole load of gunge! I was able to access the heater from the bulkhead by disconnecting the 'quick release' coupling there. A bit stiff but once I had released the catch it came disconnected OK.
You may have a similar blockage in the rad, possibly caused by rad-weld and this could be the cause of the overheating and loss of coolant.
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Thanks for replying. I have already flushed the radiator and engine block as best I could (not much in the way of gunk came when I did), but wasn't able to direct much water through the heater matrix-I plan to try and take the hoses off like you suggest and flush the matrix directly. I hope it isn't head gasket-there doesn't seem to be any contamination in the oil or vice versa-but it does seem to be using a bit much water and with no obvious leaks it must be going somewhere....