megane 1.9 diesel engine

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jimech

megane 1.9 diesel engine

Post by Jimech » 14 Aug 2004, 11:47

we have a N reg megane with a broken engine. The cam belt snapped (72,000 - may have been the original) and the engine jammed. It has been examined by the garage who have quoted figures of £1000. I'm not sure of the actual damage, and how much of that would just be in labour. does anyone have a cheaper repair solution - I was thinking of replacing the whole engine with a second hand one. anyone know of any 1.9 d engines, preferably near mildenhall in suffolk? if so are there any differences in the engines of different year meganes, or any other renaults with the same engine?
Thanks
James Unwin

reblack68

Post by reblack68 » 14 Aug 2004, 15:42

Quite a lot of that will be labour but it still seems a little excessive to me. When an engine has suffered that kind of trauma you're right in thinking a whole new unit is the best bet.
The same engine can be found in a Renault Clio (old shape), 19, 21 (The 21 has 2 diesels- your one mounted transversely and a much bulkier one mounted longitudinally) and possibly Laguna. There are also versions of the Volvo 440 with the 1.9 Renault engine.
You'll save a lot of heartache later if you replace the clutch and timing belt on your new unit while it's out. It's also a good time to make sure everything is present and correct down the back of the engine. A five minute job when the engine's out can easily take a day when the engine's in.