Buying a Laguna II

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andrewhall
My Cars:

Buying a Laguna II

Post by andrewhall »

Dear All
Thinking of changing my trusty 1997 TD Xantia for a Laguna II 1.9 Diesel. Probably be a 2001 or 2002 model.
Any help comments would be appreciated on things to look out for e.t.c.
I notice that some have 6 speed gearboxes, there is a 105bhp and 120 bhp engine - Are they noticibly different in performance/economy.
Many Thanks
Andrew
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Are you mad???
Renault Laguna II, Take a look at www.topgear.com/duffers & see what other Laguna II owners think about owning one.
We have a 2002 Laguna II 1.9 DCI at work, Thank god its still under warranty:
We have lost count of the software updates its had, Clutch, Front brakes, Parts of the front suspension, Turbo its had to have replaced & they are just the things I can remember.
The rep at work is already looking at replacements for it, It wont be a Renault, But he is lumbered with it till next April
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I agree.There has been alot of reliability issues with them.The caravan club did a owners feedback artical last year in their mag.About 25 owners replied.Most said they were happy overall,but listed all the problems above.Turbo,software etc...
You may be able to access it at www.caravanclub.co.uk
I aways think its best to buy a car at least 2 yrs older than the first models that came out.That way,all the little problems are ironed out on later models.
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

My advice would be if you pay your own repair bills then dont buy one. Out leasing company supply reliability stats for cars, and the Laguna has faired very badly indeed.
Paul.
andrewhall
My Cars:

Post by andrewhall »

Thanks to all who have replied.
I looked at the Top Gear website and I am now suitably put off a Laguna II. Many thanks in saving me from a very expensive mistake.
Andrew
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Not all cars that are slated are bad.Some have more bad press than others,but are still good cars.I had 2 brand new Rover 200`s,T reg VI,V reg TD.Both very nice,no probs,still were a bit slated.Good cars though.It just seems to be more with the Laguna 2.Usally find that with all new cars though in the 1st 2/3 yrs.After that,they get better.