Clio Not starting or anything!

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

maddave

Clio Not starting or anything!

Post by maddave »

Hi,
My girlfriends mums clio 1996, 1.1, has started to have a stange problem that I hope you could point me in the direction of solving and therefore looking like a god!!
Sometimes the car wont start. Turn the key and nothing. No click no whirr no starter motor. Come back after an hour or two and everything is fine. Car starts great. Battery is new. The car went to a garrage and they read the computer which said that there was an error but it wouldn't say what it is. We thought it might be the immobaliser at one point but the renault garage said that it doesn't have one fitted. They wont touch it cos they say that they dont know what it is to fix it and said bring it in when it happens again. How they expect us to drive it to them when it wont start is beyond me!!
Anyone had that happen to them? Any pointers?
Cheers.
David.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Does every thing else work when it wont start?Lights,radio etc...
maddave

Post by maddave »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np</i>

Does every thing else work when it wont start?Lights,radio etc...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yep, everything. No dimming of lights or anything as if its a battery problem. Car just wont sart as if an immobiliser has kicked in - but its doesn't have one, so cant be that!!
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I think it does have an immobiliser, I'm sure Renaults from the early 1990s on all did. It's called RAPS (Renault-Anti-Something-System) and is a very afterthought-looking key slot inside the glovebox on our 1993 R19.
Another thing to check is that all the contacts on the starter are clean and secure. My R9 featured in a film once because I couldn't shift it due to bad starter contacts.
mikgram

Post by mikgram »

occasionally when I turn the key on my 97 Safrane nothing happens the problem is the small wire on a spade connector on the pre engadged solenoid on the starter motor if I pull it of and push it on the connection is good I`ve tried crimping it to no avail but when it occurs it gives the impression of a duff starter motor or battery
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I agree with mikgram.I had a Astra once with the same problem.Turned out to be a simple spade conector.
I dont know what facilitys you have,but best to get the front in the air,& check all the connections to the starter motor.Earth,power etc.
You may fine that it is just a simple rusty conector.Make sure their all tight & clean.Renew any iffy ones.
maddave

Post by maddave »

Ok. I'll have a look at the started connectors. Its weird how it starts fine after about two hours of leaving it. What concerns me is that the garages checked the computer and said that there was fault but couldn't say what it was. Will have a go with cleaning it here and there and will look for an immobaliser.
Cheers for replies.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mikgram</i>

occasionally when I turn the key on my 97 Safrane nothing happens the problem is the small wire on a spade connector on the pre engadged solenoid on the starter motor if I pull it of and push it on the connection is good I`ve tried crimping it to no avail but when it occurs it gives the impression of a duff starter motor or battery
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
this is a VERY common problem on most renaults.