Clio 91

Post a Topic Specifically related to Renault vehicles.

Moderator: RichardW

disco

Clio 91

Post by disco » 13 Feb 2004, 19:13

I have a 1.2 Clio 91 that has an an intermitant rev problem. Whilst driving along with foot to floor revs will suddenly die. Repeated pressing of the pedal has no effect on it. If I drop it down a gear making it rev higher then accelerate sometimes its fine again others I have to stop. Even if you change down the gears you have no revs in any of them. Usually if you stop for 10 mins and try again its ok. This happens alot. I have checked the spark plugs they are ok. Its like its being starved of fuel. I can hear the fuel pump priming when u switch the igntion on. Anyone any ideas?
0x

arry_b

Post by arry_b » 14 Feb 2004, 06:57

Once you've broken down are the plugs sparking when you turn it over trying to start it? If they are it's probably fuel related.
If not, it's likely to be an electrical problem. My money is on either an igntiion compoment failing as it gets warm, or the fuel pump relay not working properly.
Post back with your findings.
0x

disco

Post by disco » 15 Feb 2004, 23:45

Yeah the plugs were fine, and it didnt seem like a fuel blockage due to the intermitancy of it. I thought it may be the ECU so I took it out and had a look. There was alot of salt on the outside and inside. A few tracks had been corroded. How do I go about checking the fuel pump relay? I can hear the fuel pump deff priming and the car starts at the moment. Yet as soon as I get anywhere the problem still happens
0x

arry_b

Post by arry_b » 16 Feb 2004, 02:20

When its next packed in, try rocking the fuel pump relay in its holder to see if it primes. If you can find one in a breaker try swapping it for another one.
If you've got a nice spark when it's stopped on you, it's likely to be a fuel delivery problem. I had a Saab turbo that used to play the same trick on me as yours is doing to you - that was the fuel pump relay.
0x

disco

Post by disco » 16 Feb 2004, 14:40

Thanks for your help, I will check the fuel pump relay and get back to you.
0x

jafattz
My Cars:

Post by jafattz » 22 Feb 2004, 05:08

when the engine dies try taking off the fuelfiller cap if you here a whoosh of air then your tank vent may be blocked this happened to me once on an Audi but sounds like the same problem J
0x