Renault 19 Petrol guage not working

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Discotrout
My Cars:

Renault 19 Petrol guage not working

Post by Discotrout »

My petrol guage just suddenly stopped reading, so petrol levels have become pure guess work!
Any advice at all?
Many thanks in advance
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

If the temperature gauge (has it got one?) still works, then the clever money is on the sender unit in the petrol tank.
Discotrout
My Cars:

Post by Discotrout »

Thanks Phil, temp gauge still works.
Do you think this is an expensive job?
Any ideas/experience?
Cheers [:)]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Check out GSF for a price; not having owned a R19, I'm not sure, but most sender units can be accessed via a big grommet under the rear seat (assuming tank is there, or course!).
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

It's at the front end of the boot, just behind the rear seats. There's a rubber cover, when you remove that you will find 4 pipes and a multiplug. Remove those (noting where they were although they are different sizes) and knock the locking ring round. I know all this cos I had to fit a new tank last week.
Discotrout
My Cars:

Post by Discotrout »

Cheers reblack, is this something i can fix myself?
Do i need a part? or does something just need dislodging?
Any special procedures before tampering with anything? I don't wann blow myself up!! :o)
Cheers again
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I don't know without looking what's wrong. Try wiggling stuff to see if it bursts into life. Yes, is should be something you can do yourself. Beware of fuel dripping off the unit into your interior (put newspaper down) and bear in mind that the unit extends towards the rear end of the car (from memory) so it doesn't just lift out vertically. I've made it sound more complicated than it is, it's dead easy really.
A new sender appears to cost £54+VAT & delivery from GSF. Seeing as we're less than 100% sure that's what's wrong and it's an old-ish car I'd be tempted to try and get one from a breaker's.