Scenic II (2005ish) buying?

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cpikey316_
My Cars:

Scenic II (2005ish) buying?

Post by cpikey316_ »

Looking at a taller but smaller car, since the mrs wrapped my old 306 around a pillar in Sainsburys!

Scenic seems nice, but is there any common things I should look out for when viewing one?
Light bluey 2002 C5 LX
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Scenic II (2005ish) buying?

Post by elma »

My family have had scenics since they came out. The 05 ones are nice to live with, usual Renault checks apply. Make sure all the electrics work and the gearbox isn't on its way out. The keyless entry is on a lot of cars that year really good system in my opinion. The petrol vvt engines are rubbish, underpowered, poor economy with constant problems from the dephaser (vvt switch). The diesel engines are a lot more sorted but cost a premium. Only proper problem mums 05 has had bar the dephaser is it kept running out of battery overnight, dad found the cause when the glovebox bulb melted the glovebox. Since the bulb was removed no more flat battery issues. I genuinely like the car for its comfort and ergonomics and would have a diesel one myself any day.
cpikey316_
My Cars:

Post by cpikey316_ »

Am looking at diesels! Heard they can be tempremental engines though, should I check for as much service history as possible?

Had lots of peugeots, so checking electrics is high on my list of checks!
Light bluey 2002 C5 LX
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

We've never had a diesel one so I'm not really sure. The dashboard is meant to be a common problem, we've been warned its expensive but not sure how much. Its the worst feature of the car the, instruments are central with digital speedo and tachometer. They're awkward to read for me.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I had an 05 Grand Scenic diesel 1.5 honestly it was the worst car I've ever had and I wouldn't have another. I had to be recovered twice and I had to pay 300 notes to get it sorted. However please don't let me put you off. there are good and bad cars everywhere. The engine and box were the best part of the car it was the dog poor electronics that let it down. Yes make sure it's had all its services and I think there were a few recalls on these as well. Low miles and comprehensive history is definitely the way to go. Incidentally I just sold a mk1 01 Scenic. It was the polar opposite of the ml11, what a super little car, really lovely lovely motor and you can still find some low mileage ones about as well.
Good luck.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

The diesels can be real trouble and expensive to fix depending on the injection system used. Usual faults are - keycard, electric steering lock, electric windows, electric handbrake, knackered under bonnet fusebox due to water ingress, diesel injection problems (injectors, pump, etc). The 100bhp 1.5 isn't a good idea if you ask me, the injectors are very expensive and seem to fail at the drop of a hat. The crank doesn't have a woodruff key so makes it more likely to slip or incorrectly time up, I believe the 106 bhp has a 'key'd' crank.

Steve.
not applicable
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Like lots of Renault, lovely cars if you can get a good one. Concentric slave cylinder can be another PITA. Also, some models need diagnostics to bleed brakes.
I keep looking for a MK1 facelift with 1.9 dci. That model with low miles and no rust would be my choice.

Renault make some practical cars but they don't see it through with build quality on most of them. If you can get a car that slips through the normal poor quality and is a good one........you are laughing.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2