Coolant/Radiator/Temp

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bwellard
My Cars:

Coolant/Radiator/Temp

Post by bwellard »

Apologies for such a long post - Thought I'd explain everything in one hit!!
Replaced expansion tank on Saturday as it was full of brown deposits (It was impossible to see the level of coolant!!).. Flushed system through as it was full of brown murky looking water, refilled etc. Had to top up the coolant a couple of times, i'm guessing I didn't get rid of all the air 1st time round. Before I changed the coolant etc. my temp gauge would get to just above half way and sit there until it was sat at idle for a while, then fan would kick in etc. Now whilst driving at motorway speed, the temp gauge goes above half and rises to just below the 3rd thick line of the gauge and then gradually comes back down, and then starts the cycle again. It seems to stay in the halfway position at normal town driving speed. Is this normail, or have I buggered something up when I changed the coolant etc..
1.8 (8 Valve) RT - 1996
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I would guess it was not displaying the temp correctly before.
As long as it isn't going into the red or losing water then I wouldn't worry.
bwellard
My Cars:

Post by bwellard »

Cheers.. One less thing for me to worry about!
grattsim

Post by grattsim »

I've had a simular problem with my 96 1.8 Laguna, I found that the main gearbox earthing strap wasn't working as well as should be. After changing it the temp gauges stays most of the time where it should. Although there must be something else going on as the gauge increases with speed once on a main road/motorway.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bwellard</i>

Apologies for such a long post - Thought I'd explain everything in one hit!!
Replaced expansion tank on Saturday as it was full of brown deposits (It was impossible to see the level of coolant!!).. Flushed system through as it was full of brown murky looking water, refilled etc. Had to top up the coolant a couple of times, i'm guessing I didn't get rid of all the air 1st time round. Before I changed the coolant etc. my temp gauge would get to just above half way and sit there until it was sat at idle for a while, then fan would kick in etc. Now whilst driving at motorway speed, the temp gauge goes above half and rises to just below the 3rd thick line of the gauge and then gradually comes back down, and then starts the cycle again. It seems to stay in the halfway position at normal town driving speed. Is this normail, or have I buggered something up when I changed the coolant etc..
1.8 (8 Valve) RT - 1996
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">