grand scenic automatic gearbox problem

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paulhelliwell2

grand scenic automatic gearbox problem

Post by paulhelliwell2 »

i have a 55 reg scenic which every time i drive it, it will give a loud clunk and then be stuck in 3rd gear
is it repairable? and if not will a laguna gearbox fit it?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: grand scenic automatic gearbox problem

Post by xantia_v6 »

Which engine do you have?
The transmission is going into 'limp-home' mode. This could be as simple as a blown fuse, or could be more serious. If the fuses are OK, then a diagnostics session is probably required.
paulhelliwell2

Post by paulhelliwell2 »

2.0lt petrol if you mean the engine code i don't know thank you for the reply
just been on diagnostic and came up with exhaust oxygen lambda sensor fault would this cause the problems i am having?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

There should be a transmission menu in the dianostics software that will give the current state of all the sensors, and a fault code to determine the reason for going into limp mode.

Maybe you should post something in the Citroen forum, as there seem to be more transmission experts there.
paulhelliwell2

Post by paulhelliwell2 »

It's all sorted thank you it was the bottom exhaust lambda sensor that was causing it. it runs perfect again now, alot cheaper than i was thought it was going to be i will update if it all goes pete tong again but at least no gearbox is needed. thank you again for the advice
paulhelliwell2

Post by paulhelliwell2 »

back to not working again he put it on diagnostic's again and came up with pressure regulation fault?
his suggestion was to drop the bottom of the gearbox and change the transmission fluid does this sound feesable?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Clean filters if they can be cleaned and change fluid. It should help if the filters are clogged and it can't build pressure.

Sent from my GT-I9505
paulhelliwell2

Post by paulhelliwell2 »

would this cause the gearbox to go with a clank and then be locked in 3rd?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

You may as well change fluid. Make sure it is absolute proper type.
Be super clean if you have sump off.......no windy days. I doubt if you would get access to filter in box.
Depends what type, but in transverse engine it is rare.

What miles do you have? Try and dig out what make and type of box it is. Check out limp mode syndrome for your car and autobox. Funny how your exhaust sensor fixed it for a bit? Diagnostics can be symptom finders but not the root cause.
There are many tests inside the sump on Solenoids etc that can be done with mere multimeter. Don't jump in though till you have ruled out all the simple things first.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
paulhelliwell2

Post by paulhelliwell2 »

its only done 52000 where do you fine the box no and engine code?
the engine no is co49671
paulhelliwell2

Post by paulhelliwell2 »

just had the engine/driveshaft seal replaced and now when the car is put in gear there is a wining noise what could that be?
also could i put a 1.6 auto gearbox in or one from a laguna {5 speed but 2.0}
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Post by ferkemall »

OK Renault say never change the fluid just top it up when needed , meanwhile in the real world any auto trans MFG will tell you to change the fluid at or before 30,000 miles because the debris from the clutches and steel spacers clog up the valves and and valve body ,there was an issue with some of the EMV valves , the loud bomp noise is the 3rd gear being slammed in under high preasure and limp mode is triggered and the little snow light coming on lefthand side of the auto shift lever ,

I down loaded 3 different training manuals for this unit =AL4 /DPO same box there are sensors such as the condition sensor that read temp and viscosity of fluid when the fluid gets to hot it gets to thin so triggers limp mode ,its a french thing more work and £ for the dealers /stealers i flushed my gearbox out and then did some research i used Carplan ATF-U £19 FOR 5ltrs that was 2 years ago never had a problem since ,

Read the renault hand book and it will say limp mode is caused by to long on the motorway /to long in traffic /and or pulling to much weight anyone who has ever worked on auto trans units knows they are signs of overheated fluid not to put to finer point on it Renault fluid is s**t its like dex 111 my Modus can sit in traffic all day or pull my sometimes overloaded trailer or it can do 90mph all day it does not do limp mode .

As for the winding noise you might want to check the length of the drive shaft and make sure the neutral detent is in the correct position ,

Hope it helps !
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Post by ferkemall »

OOPPPS nearly forgot some applications of these transmission units have a counter in the software that reaches 32000 miles and then triggers limp mode changing the fluid is ok but if the counter is not reset limp will continue , just so you know !