Renault Trafic cold start noise

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

javery
My Cars:

Renault Trafic cold start noise

Post by javery »

I have recently aquired a beautiful 1997 2.2 petrol injection Trafic camper van with very few miles on the clock which has been well serviced and looked after.....when started from cold there is a whirring noise from the bottom of the engine...oil pump?? which only lasts literally two or three minutes max. and then goes away and the engine is then sweet as a nut....could this be normal??..be grateful for any explanation or comment from any other 2.2 owners
John A
jonathanthefurnituremaker

Post by jonathanthefurnituremaker »

I've got a similar noise - did you ever find out what caused it?
J
javery
My Cars:

Post by javery »

Thanks for comment....it seems it appears to be the oil pump (pressure release valve) when the engine and oil is cold...once warm no problem at all ..are your symptoms exactly as mine??
John A

The symptoms are the same as yours, however the car is not the same as yours, a 1995 Volvo 940.
Since noises are very difficult to describe I have made a recording of it and uploaded it to a web page as an mp3 file (about 1.5Mb) - web address http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jd.guest/V ... /index.htm.
I posted a message on a Volvo site and the general opinion is that the fault lies with the starter motor not dissengaging properly. But the noise doesn't seem to be coming from this part of the engine, and it remains even when all the belts are removed. It all seems to point to the oil pump.
How did you decide that your oil pump was at fault?
Have you done anything about it?
Thanks - Jonathan

Sorry, but the web page link I gave in the previous reply gained an extra full stop at the end of the URL and of course it doesn't work, it should be -
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jd.guest/V ... /index.htm
Jonathan
javery
My Cars:

Post by javery »

Interesting sound and seems like mine...have run my engine with no drive belts and listened all round with stethascope and it is definitely in the sump immediately below the oil pump (but totally quiet when warm)...cant of course run engine without oil pump..pity would prove something...have taken sump off and all looks perfect...new timing belt and a mechanic from a subaru agents says dont worry about it all cars make noises till they warm up its the noises that come when it warms up you worry about..so for the moment no action it is running perfectly and have done a couple of longish trips recently...no problems..convinced it is oil pump/release valve when cold.
John A