Clio autobox problems

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mdoo98

Clio autobox problems

Post by mdoo98 »

We have a '91 1.4 Clio auto that has just lost forward drive (reverse works fine). Drive is engaged but as you accelerate drive is lost and the engine revs freely, does this mean the box has gone, if so why does reverse work fine? I work in transmissions and its got me fooled.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Not questioning your sanity, but is the fluid level where it should be?
Reason I ask is that I had a similar problem on my Cit a couple of years ago after I'd dropped the selector valve that had drained the transmission.
I drained & refilled & it's all been OK ever since. It's just that sometimes the most obvious can be the hardest to see. Mine went backwards as well.
Alan S
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'll ad a bit more to it.
Since I posted the above reply, there has been a guy on a board in Oz who took his Renault 25 from Melbourne to Perth whereupon it lost all drive. As a result he had to organise to get it trucked back to his home.
When it arrived, he decided to give it a try & lo & behold, the damn thing went alright. He posted this on the board and another lister responded by saying that at present he has been talking to French car mechanics regarding what problems he may encounter in an automatic (in this case a BX) and has been told that if these boxes get too hot, which in the case of the guy in the Renault he drove for a whole day at 120 kph, and it seems they don't take kindly to getting hot. Sometimes when left for a prolonged period as in his cae, they simply start operating OK.
If this is an intermittent problem (after a run) it could be worth an oil change & look closely at the transmission cooler. (?)
Alan S
mdoo98

Post by mdoo98 »

Alan, firstly thanks for the prompt reply. As I said I work in transmissions (JCB) and from your second reply re: the guy temporarily losing drive, I can confirm that auto boxes, torque converters and the ATF oil do not like extreme temperatures in either direction. When it becomes too hot it is incapable of tranmitting the drive as the fluid just shears: and likewise when near frozen it would never be able to lose drive, noticeable by a heavy engagement from neutral to drive.
Thanks for the advice re fluid levels, I intend to experiment as the Haynes manual is very vague and refers to specific Renault electronic equipment being needed to properly confirm fluid levels. I cannot see that the box is completely gone if drive is intermitent. I will let you know how I go on.
Thanks
Keith
zz
My Cars:

Post by zz »

I'm a autobox rebuilder.The problem with you clio has nothing to do with your ATF level,you'll find your gearbox has a cracked forward drum.A common problem
esscargo
My Cars:

Post by esscargo »

can i be sent some pics of this 91 clio please as they never came to australia.
danieltaylor@westpac.com.au