Clio belt change interval

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Clio belt change interval

Post by qprdude »

Had a quick search without success.
My wife has a 2007 1.2 petrol Clio campus sport. It has done less than 6000 miles but as it is coming up to six years old, will the next service be a cambelt change one? If so, can anyone give me a ball park figure for getting the job done? (probably not at a Renault main dealer, more than likely just a local indy) Cheers
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Clio belt change interval

Post by qprdude »

Here we are with more than 18 months gone and still no Cam belt change. When the wife asks about a cam belt change with the service, all the local Indy's look as if she is silly. The car is 7 years old now and although it has only done under 7000 miles, surely they should be aware of the belt "shelf life"

One garage quoted £450 for the belt change only, no service along with that. I thought that was a bit steep for a 1.2 16 valve petrol Clio.
Problem is, the car is about to be used on a 900 mile trip to Woking, via several stops in Northern England. Should I just leave it?
Rick.

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Hi Rick
I think it may be the 72k belt change or 6 yrs thing. If it were mine I would be thinking of change sometime in future as technically it may be due.
However I would not be rushing at those prices quoted. Well OTT. If you were on 30k miles at ten years then it may be more of an issue. I personally would not be panicking at those miles and age of car ATM.

Aint you going to give the Mrs your luxobarge for the trip? :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I think she has booked it in for a full service for £205 at a local place.
The wife isn't actually driving it down south. I think our son in law is flying up to take it to Woking where we have bought a house. He has some business meetings on the way back so will combine the two jobs. The "Luxobarge" will be going down fully loaded when we move. Right now I'm not at all well and the journey is not something I'm looking forward to for a change. I have three weeks nearly, to get myself sorted then we're off.
Thanks for the advice, it's probably the best solution given the quotes.
Rick.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:I think she has booked it in for a full service for £205 at a local place.
The wife isn't actually driving it down south. I think our son in law is flying up to take it to Woking where we have bought a house. He has some business meetings on the way back so will combine the two jobs. The "Luxobarge" will be going down fully loaded when we move. Right now I'm not at all well and the journey is not something I'm looking forward to for a change. I have three weeks nearly, to get myself sorted then we're off.
Thanks for the advice, it's probably the best solution given the quotes.
The quotes you've had are taking the p**s. I would have answered you yesterday, but I had to check it was the same engine first - my friend in Hayes had her 1.2 16V Clio timing belt changed back in September down here at a local Indy - under 2 hours labour, about £80 worth of parts including a waterpump. Total cost £252 inc vat. It's not a bad job at all, despite some garages claiming it is. Loads of room to do it.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yes. I had a quick look at the engine and there seems to be a bit of space to work. Unfortunately, I'm not able to do any work myself at the minute. Seems strange that I can get my C5 X7 a full service for less than the Clio and that's at a main dealer.
Rick.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Wait until it's down here. I have another friend in Woking and she uses a very reasonably priced Indy for her 206. I'll get you the info..
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Cheers Mike. Probably next year now. She has booked a service for Monday now.
Rick.