Two probs - Brakes and Rear Wiper

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

richingram

Two probs - Brakes and Rear Wiper

Post by richingram »

First problem that I am having is that the brake pedal will nearly travel to the floor when braking. Should I get the brake master cylinder replaced asap?
Second problem is that I am trying to replace the rear windscreen wiper blade on my Clio 1.4RT (1994) but can't find my manual anywhere (I have just moved house) so was wondering if someone would help with what has to be done as I don't want to be heavy handed and break things.
Thank you
Richard
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The brake pedal problem sounds like air in the system.
Does it firm up if you pump the pedal a few times?
If so it probably just needs bleeding.
richingram

Post by richingram »

The brake pedal does firm up after pumping it a few times. I will get that seen to. Now just have to work out how to get the old wiper blade off.
Thank you very much
Richard
richingram

Post by richingram »

Have had the brakes bled but the pedal is travelling to the floor. Not as much but it is still doing it. Could the master cylinder need replacing?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Has the brake problem come on all at once or has it gradualy got worse over a period of time, if the latter I would suspect the auto adjusters have packed up working, assuming drum brakes are fitted at the rear.
What happens if you apply the hand brake and then the footbrake, does that make a difference on the second pump and does pedal travel hold at that or does it still go a long way down.
Dave
robinsharker
My Cars:

Post by robinsharker »

Hi there.
I have a very similar problem on my girlfriends Renault 5. A few months back, the rhs drive shaft broke, so I removed it, and inbetween doing that and fitting the new one, the rhs caliper was left cable-tied to the spring for about 2 weeks. When I got a new drive shaft and fitted it, everything worked fine, but there now seems to be a recurring problem as described by 'richingram'. I don't know if what i just said is anything to do with the problem, but It never happened before the drive shaft broke. The problem happens only very occasionally, and the pedal will go almost to the floor before biting. A quick pump will always solve it, and the problem will disappear again for a while.
Since I've had this problem, I have thoroughly bled the entire system, and I thought it had solved it at first, but the problem is slowly creeping back again. I suspect the mastercylinder might be at fault, but I don't want to go replacing everything without being reasonably confident of the problem.
Could having left the caliper tied up for so long have got air into it? If so, how is the air getting back into the system? Is it possible that a dodgy line in the system would allow air in - as I thought it would primarily allow fluid out!!
I don't think the problem is servo related, as I have tested the brakes stationary with the motor on/off, but then again, the problem is so eratic, it is very difficult to test it!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Rob[}:)]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Try engaging the handbrake then letting it off a notch or two so the car is free to move. If the pedal now bites higher, then the back brake self adjusters aren't working.
robinsharker
My Cars:

Post by robinsharker »

I will try that tomorrow, thank you. If that is the problem, where are the adjusters? Im not very familiar with car brake systems.
Cheers, Rob
robinsharker
My Cars:

Post by robinsharker »

I still can't tell, even doing the handbrake trick, as the problem is far too irregular. I think the adjusters may well be to blame, so I'll check them out when I can. Thanks for your advice so far,
Rob
Mutlley

Post by Mutlley »

Hi!!I've got a Renault Clio too and already had the same problem..If i needed to keep bracking the pedal would go all to the bottom and the car stop braking. My mechanic solved the problem and he told me that it was simply a rubber on the brake pump...And it has been really easy to solve!
About the whiper i didn't understood your problem to try help you...
(Sorry for my English but it's my secundary languge)