Laguna Vibrations!! (1997 1.8RT)

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TazzyK

Laguna Vibrations!! (1997 1.8RT)

Post by TazzyK »

My problem with the Laguna is nothing to do with road speed, but in fact it has all to do with engine speed..allow me to elaborate....
When I'm driving, I get a very strong vibration from the front of the car. You can't actually feel it, but you can hear it very well and you can see the rear windscreen actually vibrate in the rear-view mirror. Even when I'm parked, it happens at the same engine speed (about 2000 rpm). It reverts to being ok once the engine speed is over 2000 rpm mark.
The vibration causes the back box of my exhaust to come loose every so often...needless to say its a pain!!
I've had numerous exhaust checks done, had gearbox mountings changed, engine mountings checked, exhaust downpipe gasket and spring screws changed but has made no difference.
Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any solutions out there??[?]
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Sorry to give you some bad news but think you may have some kind of engine problem. Worn main bearings and a like can cause a severe vibration i say thi becuase youve had the exhaust checked, new engine mounts nd checked. If i were you i would pop the bonnet and check your engine oil level becuase the 1.8 tends to like to drink a bit of oil. And while your at it rev the engine while you listen to the engine it should sound smooth and there should no deep rumblings from the bottom end.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

or maybe its jut something simple like a water pump or alternator, wrong exhaust.
TazzyK

Post by TazzyK »

Thanx CITMAN.... normally I would be very worried by what you said...but with 120,000 miles on the clock, my engine is still in good shape and it doesn't drink much oil either.
GOOD NEWS IS THAT MY PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED AT A COST OF £25!!!!
How?? Well, its like this....Having gone to many garages telling me somethings loose in the engine bay, but not being able to pinpoint the problem, I was getting desperate!! I wouldn't normally entrust my car to anyone other than some respectable garage, but yesterday I took it to a local garage where they had an asylum seeker working. I needed to get the car checked as I was off to the airport and the noise and vibrations were getting quite scary.
He spent 30 minutes underneath the car and discovered my problem.... the gearbox mounting bolts that hold the gearbox (bellhousing???) flat against the engine where missing!!!!! So he put new bolts in and VIOLA!!![:D]
Question is though...how did they go missing in the first place??? hmmm!![:(!]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TazzyK</i>

My problem with the Laguna is nothing to do with road speed, but in fact it has all to do with engine speed..allow me to elaborate....
When I'm driving, I get a very strong vibration from the front of the car. You can't actually feel it, but you can hear it very well and you can see the rear windscreen actually vibrate in the rear-view mirror. Even when I'm parked, it happens at the same engine speed (about 2000 rpm). It reverts to being ok once the engine speed is over 2000 rpm mark.
The vibration causes the back box of my exhaust to come loose every so often...needless to say its a pain!!
I've had numerous exhaust checks done, had gearbox mountings changed, engine mountings checked, exhaust downpipe gasket and spring screws changed but has made no difference.
Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any solutions out there??[?]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">