Renault Clio 1.4 RT no power and lumpy...

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James
My Cars:

Renault Clio 1.4 RT no power and lumpy...

Post by James »

I have a Renault Clio RT 1.4 1993 model car that has produced some faults in the last few months. If anybody can shed any light on the matter or can confirm my ideas of what is wrong, it would be of immense help.
The car has a lack of power, especially if the road is inclined at all, at which point the power drops out completely. It also misfires, especially bad and noticeable when cold. At times, I can put my foot down on the accelerator and it will hesitate and kick before smoothing out, making overtaking a risk.
The last problem is one that has been around long before the current problems appeared and has stumped the Renault garages here, forcing them to charge me lots of money for not fixing it. If I am driving along, and take my foot off the accelerator to slow down gradually, as the engine speed reduces, just before it reaches idle speed revs, it gives one last burst of life and throws the car forward slightly. That is to say that the engine revs up a little bit (I believe the solenoid on the idle speed motor is kicking in just for a second and pushing the accelerator cam, producing this unwanted acceleration burst) before returning to normal revs. This is particulary annoying and dangerous when braking. Just as the revs come down and I am close to a stopped car in front of me, the car will accelerate slightly and overcome my braking efforts, forcing me to brake harder in compensation. I am getting somewhat tired of the car lurching forward of its own accord.
A mechanic told me, just before he went to another town to live, that Clio's suffered from lots of injector faults, caused by a faulty computer module, he also told me that the timing sounded out as well, which is also to do with the computer module...Could this be the reason for the bad performance of the car? Could it also explain the last mentioned lurching fault?
I hope it's not the computer, I've been told they cost £200+. Or can they be repaired/reprogrammed?
Thanks for any help you give me.
J.B.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I have a Renault Clio RT 1.4 1993 model car that has produced some faults in the last few months. If anybody can shed any light on the matter or can confirm my ideas of what is wrong, it would be of immense help.
The car has a lack of power, especially if the road is inclined at all, at which point the power drops out completely. It also misfires, especially bad and noticeable when cold. At times, I can put my foot down on the accelerator and it will hesitate and kick before smoothing out, making overtaking a risk.
The last problem is one that has been around long before the current problems appeared and has stumped the Renault garages here, forcing them to charge me lots of money for not fixing it. If I am driving along, and take my foot off the accelerator to slow down gradually, as the engine speed reduces, just before it reaches idle speed revs, it gives one last burst of life and throws the car forward slightly. That is to say that the engine revs up a little bit (I believe the solenoid on the idle speed motor is kicking in just for a second and pushing the accelerator cam, producing this unwanted acceleration burst) before returning to normal revs. This is particulary annoying and dangerous when braking. Just as the revs come down and I am close to a stopped car in front of me, the car will accelerate slightly and overcome my braking efforts, forcing me to brake harder in compensation. I am getting somewhat tired of the car lurching forward of its own accord.
A mechanic told me, just before he went to another town to live, that Clio's suffered from lots of injector faults, caused by a faulty computer module, he also told me that the timing sounded out as well, which is also to do with the computer module...Could this be the reason for the bad performance of the car? Could it also explain the last mentioned lurching fault?
I hope it's not the computer, I've been told they cost £200+. Or can they be repaired/reprogrammed?
J.B.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
J.B.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

[quote]
I had a similar problem on my wifes Clio 1.4 RT 1993. Something that Clios are prone to is picking up pieces of swarf from the starter ring gear and then depositing these pieces onto the (magnetic) engine speed sensor. This is situated at the top of the gearbox bellhousing and secured with two 10mm bolts into the side of the engine block. These pieces of swarf give a currupt signal to the ECU, therefore it cannot give the correct fuelling etc. Just clean it up!
Another option is the coil, £22. Just because it is producing a spark does not mean it is working correctly. Check primary and secondary resistance with an ohm meter.
James
My Cars:

Post by James »

Thanks for the advice.
I cleaned the magnetic pick-up sensor some time ago when these problems started, it was quite clean at the time and cleaning it made no difference unfortunately...
I have also checked the coil resistances and they were all in the specified range printed in the Haynes manual...
The car is still the same and is hesitating a lot. I have had other suggestions which I myself cannot check, such as a cylinder with low compression, or a valve problem, either timing-wise or one is burnt, pitted, leaking..
Hopefully one day I'll find the cause.
J.B.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

My Renault Megane 1.6 RT had the exact same problem and it was due to a hole in the pipe that takes engine pressure to calculate the fuel injection required. It's at the top of the engine quite near to the base of the windshield and it's approx an eight inch length of black tubing running to a box (probably with the fuel injection electronics in)
Cost about £6 for a new length of tubing
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

MAP sensor pipe