Clio starting problem

Post a Topic Specifically related to Renault vehicles.

Moderator: RichardW

pwatson
My Cars:

Clio starting problem

Post by pwatson » 08 Oct 2002, 04:50

My son has a k reg Clio 1.4RN and it's proving a problem to start. Battery turns over engine OK but for about 10 attempts nothing seems to happen - no indication of firing & smell of petrol from exhaust. Then it starts, but will stall if throttle is touched. After a couple of minutes it runs fine. Have taken it to garage but of course it always fires up immediately. As a diesel driver for many years I have forgotten how these petrol things work!! Any suggestions as to what it might be ?
Thanks
PhilW
Phil
0x

MC
My Cars:

Post by MC » 08 Oct 2002, 14:55

Try checking the Distributor cap - my Citroen AX does this every Autumn/Winter. Traced my problem to condensation build up inside cap. If anything looks like it's corroded inside cap just buy a new one.
Could also be fuel supply as you say no smell of petrol - check fuel pump, carb idle jet, air filter for leaves blocking it etc.
Good luck!
MC
0x

pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson » 09 Oct 2002, 00:38

Thanks MC - will check distrib. By the way, it's a single point injection system. Apparently it may be a problem with the idle speed control motor. The coolant temp sensor is working OK. Could be the motor or the signal it is getting from the computer. Sounds like a main dealer diagnostic check worse luck.
Phil
0x

pak

Post by pak » 17 Nov 2002, 07:02

Hi guys.I have a clio III and i have too an ignition problem ONLY if the engine is HOT.
The rpm are almost to 0 and the engine is close to dying.
After sometimes 3 attempts it starts but the ignition sounds very weak.
PLEASE HELP.
PS.the battery is new and full!!
0x

pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson » 12 Dec 2002, 19:10

Dear All,
Sorry for the delay in up-dating you on this problem but with my son being in the U.S.A. and due back in 10 days I took the Clio to a Renault bloke (independent but experienced ex-Renault mechanic with computer analysis thingy who I do trust!). He reckons that the CTS is OK but there is a problem with the sensors in the carburettor body. He also says that these sensors are not made separately but require the replacement of the whole carb. Renault apparently charge £600 (yes £600 for this body - cheaper to replace whole car???) and has suggested that I try for a second - hand/reconditioned one on the internet or somewhere and he will fit it.
Three questions
1) Is his diagnosis likely to be correct? (I realise that without testing the car it is difficult to say - but does it sound reasonable/is it a likely fault/does this happen to Clios?)
2) Anyone know of a reliable source for a carb. body that is MUCH cheaper
3) Am I likely to find a good one at the scrappies??
Thanks in advance for any advice - it's likely to be my wallet rather than my son's which feels the pinch!!
PhilW
Reply to this message

Phil
0x

pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson » 14 Dec 2002, 17:10

Brilliant! Following advice from a post on Honest John I have just got off my lazy backside, been to Renault and bought a Coolant Temp Sensor (£22.50 inc vat) and fitted it (about half hour after taking off various hoses, dizzy cap etc to ease access). Apprehensively turned the key and hey presto it sprang into life on the first turn, smooth tickover and pick up even when cold!!
PhilW
Phil
0x