Renault 19 16V vibration except when steering left

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MC
My Cars:

Renault 19 16V vibration except when steering left

Post by MC »

Could anyone confirm whether or not my suspicions are right? When above 20mph to 60mph the car vibrates at the front, and worsens when any right steering is applied. It vanishes if left steering applied but returns as soon as steering straightens. Noise also the same when coasting in neutral. Have greased up front wheel bearings (which had no play/wear, have used different front wheels & tyres also, again no improvement. I guess a shaft cv joint is worn (or maybe a diff bearing). Anyone experienced the same problem? If so, which shaft fixed the problem as I don't want to buy 2!!
Thanks for any help
MC
Oxfordshire, UK
MC
My Cars:

Post by MC »

Just an update. Decided to change n/s wheel bearing as it had signs of overheating & pit marks. But still didn't solve the weird vibration. The offside driveshaft's balance weight was in the wrong position, but when moved back still didn't sort. Reckon this may have caused inner joint to wear over time due to being out of balance - looks like it's change a shaft & see time!
MC
My Cars:

Post by MC »

Well, I managed to trace the fault to the nearside rear wheel bearing in the end! Why the front of the car vibrated I'll never know, and the bearing had no play in it unless the car was left on it's wheels -jacking up the wheel and rocking it had no signs of play!
Still, as with all wheel bearing noise problems when steering varies the noise, always check the left ones if noise is only evident when steering to the right, and vice versa.