TDC Tool

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jameshughes

TDC Tool

Post by jameshughes »

I have to change the cambelt on a Renualt Extra van with a diesel (F8Q) engine in it.
The Renualt manual says to use a MOT1054 TDC pin to lock the crank off.
Does anybody know where to get one of these cheap or if a certain size drill bit for example could be used instead?
Thanks
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I changed timing belts on two of these engines last year and I didn't use any special tools. I discovered that the lines you see on a new timing belt line up with marks on the pulleys, something that hadn't occcurred to me before.
jameshughes

Post by jameshughes »

The box the new belt comes in makes a very vague reference to this- but you have confimed it. Thanks for the info
beezer

Post by beezer »

You can use a drill bit to lock the crank. I seem to recall it is an 8mm and you need a torx socket to remove the blanking plug. It does ensure you stay at tdc. Just remember to remove it before cranking the engine!
mark c
My Cars:

Post by mark c »

you can normally get away without locking crankshafts. the marks on the timing belt can come in very handy, although bear in mind not all timing belts have them(even for the same engine)any marking or diagrams on the box may be giving reference to the timing makrs between the sprockets and the marks on the engine themself.
my tip is if you havn't done many do not forgot to turn the engine 2-4 times by hand before starting.