The groaning Clio

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

srobb

The groaning Clio

Post by srobb »

Help!
I have a P reg Clio 1.4RT which has recently aquired a groaning sound appearing to come from the front of the vehicle, right of centre. It is a constant groan (very noticable) when on a straight road but gets much worse when steering to the left. All indications were the wheel bearings or CV.
A check on wheel bearings and CV joints has shown no problems there and my mechanic (very knowledgable father) is tearing his hair out!
Any suggestions welcome
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sounds like a wheel bearing for sure. worsening on LH bends suggests it's a RH one, but jack up and check every wheel (noise can confuse where it's coming from!). Some roughness should be apparent if it's making noise all the time - if not you'll have to put up with it until you can find enough play to diagnose it. It'll fail an MOT if there's much movement.
Another thought - don't know about Clios, but most Citroens have a bearing in the middle of the long (RH in their case) drive shaft - might be worth checking to see if you have such a thing, and if that is causing the problem.
Richard
srobb

Post by srobb »

Thanks Richard
We have now replaced the bearing and even though there appears to have been nothing wrong with the old (apart from being a complete and utter pig to get off) the noise has now gone.
Sue