L reg Diesel - Draining of new battery

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mrs Ignoramous

L reg Diesel - Draining of new battery

Post by Mrs Ignoramous »

Hi I have not used one of these sites before but it was recomended to me by a friend to reduce the rick of my local garage ripping me off once more.
I own an L reg clio that used to start every time - until just before Xmas when it started getting really cold. Over night it lost all it's cahrge and would not start. I charged the battery all night and although it charged up, it only worked for a day.
We tried a brand new battery about 2 weeks ago and all was well until this morning when once again it was as flat as a pancake.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it but i had a new CD player fitted at about the same time and also the immobilisor light on the dash has stopped flasshing when switched on. The CD player gets turned off by me turning the ignition off...
Any suggestions?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Its sounds like that there is some sort of current drain causing the battery to go flat.
This could be something simple like maybe the boot light or glovebox light is staying on all the time due to a failed switch. You could remove the bulbs from these lamps to see if that makes a difference.
The other thing that springs to mind (and is more likely) is that maybe your alterator is not charging the battery correctly. You can get this tested cheaply and quickly at any garage, or if you or someone has a multimeter, there should be about 13-14 volts at the battery when the engine is running. If it reads less than 12v with the engine running, then the battery is not being charged.
Mrs Ignoramous

Post by Mrs Ignoramous »

thanks for your response Jon.
I have taken your advise and the battery is at 14v when running.
It has started all this week until Friday.
i will try the bulb thing next - however it started Friday morning at 7am and then at 8.30 it refused me (late to work again!!. I didn't realise anything could drain it that fast...
moz
My Cars:

Post by moz »

hi there i fitted a cd in areno 19 it did the same ..drained the battery ..soon as i took it out the car started up no problem..regards...moz
mark c
My Cars:

Post by mark c »

have you had to change any of the wiring for the stereo?if so my suspicion would be this.could just be an open circuit.
if a battery is in fully charged condition it will last for about forty minutes normally with something taking a large drain from it so an hour and a half would be long enough for it to drain that's normal don't worry it doesnt mean the problem is any more serious.