1994 Clio 1.4 RT Auto: Computer Error Problem

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

slimboyfat

1994 Clio 1.4 RT Auto: Computer Error Problem

Post by slimboyfat »

When driving along normally I often have the 'computer error light' illuminates on the dash. The car then sticks in gear or may change down from 5th to 3rd (on the mway). The owners manual suggests that the car must be taken to an authorised dealer but obvoiusly I'd rather not if the problem can be rectified myself. has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions/remedies I might try?
Regards,
Slim
mark c
My Cars:

Post by mark c »

my advice would be take it inot a garage as soon as possible.
if it is a computer problem any diagnosis without looking at the car it self would be near impossible to get accurate.
slimboyfat

Post by slimboyfat »

thanks for the reply mark.
regards,
leigh
danielsydney
My Cars:

Post by danielsydney »

What happened in relation to this car does anyone know?
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Re: 1994 Clio 1.4 RT Auto: Computer Error Problem

Post by ferkemall »

This the vicosity sensor in the gearbox it triggers limp mode when the fluid gets to to thin because its to hot , get the fluid changed , renault sold these autos saying the fluid never needs changing just topping up ,any auto gearbox MfG will tell you to change the fluid at 30,000 miles because the debris from the clutches and steel spacers blocks up the valve body /EMV valves /screen filter and torque converter lock up , they made a lot of money with their just top it up sales pitch ,

Modus owner who went against their advice and flushed his gearbox out and used another top spec fluid that was cheaper than renaults
that was 2 years ago car still drives like new !