Laguna steering problems after lowing

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ghoule211
My Cars:

Laguna steering problems after lowing

Post by ghoule211 »

ok guys hope you can help me on this one
Background
Ok in the last 2 weeks ive made some modifications to the front of the laguna first being a set of 17 panther alloys with new brembo discs (with textar pads)at 40 profile tires (yes the speedo is out but actually going slower by about 3MPH than what it says) the second mod was the lowering kit from GSF 35 mil. Didnt lower the rear as the gap isnt that bad over the new wheels
Car Details
Laguna 1.8 16v (drum rear(non ABS))
present prob
after having this done now at 60MPH the steering starts to wobble as if ive got a flat wheel and can drive through it as it stops wobbling at about 80MPh (not practicle). ive had the wheel reballance 2ce by two companies and have also had it tracked twice as well by same two compaines (2nd was laser aligned). both say that there is nothing wrong with balance and nothing wrong with the balance. so i took the lag to the mechanic who fitted the springs for me to have everything checked out he says it all looks fine ie joints bushes roll bar. is tbis a common problem? is ther something that can stop the wobble at such low speeds?
please help as its such a nice car id hate to have to acidently lose control of it and plant it into a wall or car.
mark c
My Cars:

Post by mark c »

i would definetly get the wheels checked independantly.
First of all i would put the front wheel onto the rear and see if the vibration is different,it may either dissapear or it may be felt through the body of the car.it may also still be their.
Definetly get it somewhere else to get them balanced though,sometimes the machines can be a bit funny.
ghoule211
My Cars:

Post by ghoule211 »

yeah i had it balanced and tracked and balanced twice in 3 days by 2 different companies all together (i went as far a 2 different counties (derbyshire and south Yorkshire)). but the problem still remains, ive also done the put the rear wheels on the front and vice versa but this also didnt help (wheels were brand new anyway).
and now the heaters packed up as well all but 4th gear and looking through the other reno sites it looks common prob and an easy fix.
is it time to collect the insurance money and buy a saab?
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Try putting the old wheels back on (if they'll fit anymore). That'll show if it's the new wheels, or something to do with the suspension.